4 speed crossmember.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Looking at that kit would make me think it might be possible to carefully cut the desired section out of existing crossmember then weld tabs on so that same section can be re-bolted in?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Looking at that kit would make me think it might be possible to carefully cut the desired section out of existing crossmember then weld tabs on so that same section can be re-bolted in?
Thats exactly how it works, once the crossmember is cut , the flanges slide over the crosmember ends and bolt together are tacked in the right place then section removed and welded fully. ๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ah right, I was mistaken in thinking kit consisted of a new crossmember as pictured! Kit is just the flanges then(y)
Yes, thats right, some say they had to grind off the top of the flanges as their body was tight to the crossmember. I just think as my box is coming out anyway then why not make things easy for now and in the future. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This was in my spares. A ready chopped crossmember.View attachment 14964View attachment 14965
Whoโ€™d have thought it gavin! Looks like they cut it too close to the exhaust holes and didnt leave enough room for the flanges. Most seem to cut the crossmember a few inches outside of those holes which gives more room for the flanges and more access to transmission once crossmember centre section removed . Any news btw ?๐Ÿ‘

Corvette

Well-known user
Whoโ€™d have thought it gavin! Looks like they cut it too close to the exhaust holes and didnt leave enough room for the flanges. Most seem to cut the crossmember a few inches outside of those holes which gives more room for the flanges and more access to transmission once crossmember centre section removed . Any news btw ?๐Ÿ‘
I donโ€™t know who Gavin is but this was modded by UKโ€™s most experienced Corvette racer to a 1968. I will look for a pic of finished article with body off.

Frank.