4 way wheel alignment?

Last triumph

Well-known user
As I'll be getting 4 new tyres fitted shortly, and given the steering wheel is not straight and the car pulls slightly, I really ought to get it 4 way aligned.

My fear is I don't trust most of the high street chains / names to know what they're doing on a car like a C3, nor to do the job properly, especially the rear alignment with the shims and everything.

Do people have any experiences of alignment services they could recommend who know how to align a Corvette all round, preferably in the North West, who are trustworthy and competent?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Anyone in the North West able to recommend a 4 way wheel alignment place that know what they're doing with a C3 and will adjust all the shims front and back to get all four wheels spot on - thrust angle, toe, camber, castor etc - a full, thorough and correct 4 wheel alignment set up?

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Depending on how keen you are on DIY, I'd suggest doing it yourself. A couple of items required, and a good deal of time needed, but it's not really that hard - and that's from someone who is horrified by all the stories of Corvette rebuilds we read on this forum! :D :D

Last triumph

Well-known user
Depending on how keen you are on DIY, I'd suggest doing it yourself. A couple of items required, and a good deal of time needed, but it's not really that hard - and that's from someone who is horrified by all the stories of Corvette rebuilds we read on this forum! :D :D
That is my plan, I'm just preparing to have a back up plan should I lose the will to live.

I've done the string method, have digital angle boxes and have measured all the camber, castor, toe etc as best as I can with my laster Track-ace kit etc and things look to be within spec, but I can't get it quite right and was wondering if having it on a proper 4-wheel laser jig, up in the air might highlight a worn bush or some other discrepancy that I'm not seeing statically on the garage floor with a torch and string LOL.

The absolute key is having someone who knows the C3 suspension inside out and appreciates it's not a quick tie rod adjustment job and will require significant work to mess with all the shims.

I guess in the absense of the above, I could have it all measured (not adjusted) and then that would at least give me an indication of what to adjust where if I can't find an experienced, sympathetic and willing service locally.

I have the will, time and inclination to do it myself, I just don't have the jig/lasers/facilities to measure it conclusively enough.

Corvette Kingdom

Supporting vendor
These are the settings I use:

Front - Camber 0 - 3/4 degree positive, caster - as much as possible, aim for 2.5-3 degrees positive, toe in - 2-3mm total toe in
Rear - Camber 1/2 degree negative, toe in - 2-3mm total toe in

Im sure there is someone out there that knows better but thats how I do it.

I have the shims in stock if you need them:

Last triumph

Well-known user
These are the settings I use:

Front - Camber 0 - 3/4 degree positive, caster - as much as possible, aim for 2.5-3 degrees positive, toe in - 2-3mm total toe in
Rear - Camber 1/2 degree negative, toe in - 2-3mm total toe in

Im sure there is someone out there that knows better but thats how I do it.

I have the shims in stock if you need them:

Thank you.

I'll be doing some additional measurements with a laser level and triangulation method at the weekend to confirm my thrust settings, then will assess which way to go. I;ve got those items saved to favourites.

Cheers.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Finally found the source of the issue.

The power steering valve was out of adjustment. When I disconnected the steering ram from the frame mount and started the motor, the arm retracted by itself, giving a steering to the right condition. I popped the cap, made a small adjustment to the adjustment nut so it remained stationary and could be manipulated back and forth by hand and buttoned everything back up again.

Just taken it for a run and it's a different car - doesn't pull, wheel straight, all good.

Got to love a simple fix, especially as I learned a lot about the suspension and steering system along my journey of investigation.