40th Birthday

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi All

With the 3 year restoration complete on my 1980 C3, I turned my attention to her paperwork and the future.
One thing I had noticed was that her VIN number on the registration document was incorrect, as was the engine size and car colour. Also there was no mention of the build date.

With regard to the VIN, the car had been registered with the Z as a 2, and the S as a 5.

I wrote to the DVLA, with all the corrected information. I also included in the correspondence the fact that although a 1980 model, the A 19 on the plate inside the drivers door frame indicated that the car was built on October 19 1979.

However the DVLA chose to ignore this and the new registration document has her as manufactured in 1980. Also my tax reminder stated that her build date was 31 December 1980.

The reason for this thread, is that I am assuming that next year I can apply for the tax and MOT exemptions. However I have not got a clue on how to proceed with this, and wether or not her actual build date is relevant.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Hi All

With the 3 year restoration complete on my 1980 C3, I turned my attention to her paperwork and the future.
One thing I had noticed was that her VIN number on the registration document was incorrect, as was the engine size and car colour. Also there was no mention of the build date.

With regard to the VIN, the car had been registered with the Z as a 2, and the S as a 5.

I wrote to the DVLA, with all the corrected information. I also included in the correspondence the fact that although a 1980 model, the A 19 on the plate inside the drivers door frame indicated that the car was built on October 19 1979.

However the DVLA chose to ignore this and the new registration document has her as manufactured in 1980. Also my tax reminder stated that her build date was 31 December 1980.

The reason for this thread, is that I am assuming that next year I can apply for the tax and MOT exemptions. However I have not got a clue on how to proceed with this, and wether or not her actual build date is relevant.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

To declare the car as MoT exempt obtain and complete a V112 form (you can download it here). Assuming it is "essentially unmodified", enter 'r' in the category box.
The first time you declare your car as tax exempt you must do this at a Post Office. You need to take the V5C, the completed V112 and the V11 tax reminder if you have one.
For exemption your car must have been built at least 40 years before the 1st day of the year in which you are claiming exemption. This is why the build date can be important. If you cannot give evidence of the build date then the DVLA will take the date of first registration (wherever that ocurred) as the qualifying start date for exemption.

Note that you will still have to tax the car every year, but it will now cost nothing.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Not 1st January 1980? - in the top left corner. If the car is a 1980 year model I think that's what it should say.
Perhaps 1985 refers to the year of import to the UK? Which is irrelevant when it comes to the 40 year rule.

Roscobbc

Send me (chairman@corvetteclub.org.uk) hi-res images of front, both sides, rear, interior, dashboard showing speedo reading, engine compartment and finally a clear image of vin. number. I will then send you a CCCUK dating certificate showing month of manufacture that the DVLA will accept for new registrations and proof of manufactured date.