454 Auto Transmission Corvettes

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Interested to hear from any 454 Auto Transmission owners about the power in conjunction with an auto? 🤔

I would also be interested too know of any achilles heel issues with the big block autos if anything exists over and above age related problems.

Thanks in advance.
hood_56482f72c5fa100ac87a16fa477677243e421575.jpeg

Roscobbc

I think the major issue with any big block Corvette is going to be potential issues of getting the power and torque down to the road - whether and automatic or manual. My car is obviously a manual so I can't really comment fron an auto owners perspective - however one of our Essex/kent members (Pete Knodt) has a 454 auto with aftermarket heads, cam, carb etc. He installed a later (albeit modified for use in an earlier car) 4 speed auto with lock-up o/d 4th gear. He also had a hi-stall speed converter which, to me was the most impressive part of the install. Much like a manual transmission car setting the car-up to get off the line cleanly and without exssesive wheelspin needs a little right foot restraint off the line and thoughtfully using the cars front to rear weight transferrence. The really impressive feature (for me) of the auto and hi-stall converter is the seemingly linear engine rpm's as it shifts through 1st, 2nd and into third the engine remains revving at a constant speed and presumably at its maximum torque output. You looking at the red coupe for sale?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
You looking at the red coupe for sale?
Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.
No, not looking to buy that but have seen it.
My C3 has to unfortunately be a 2022 purchase now due to Covid, so I'm just continuing my research and narrowing down what I want the experience to be prior to testing some / buying in the future.