Advice/Assistance Please!

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Am I right in saying that the oil pressure sender unit in my 72's 350 small block, is the unit between spark plugs 1 & 3, front two cylinders on driver's side?
My one has a single green wire coming off of it and heading into loom at rear of alternator.
My Oil Pressure Gauge hasn't worked since I got car and I have tried to remove this unit, but it's not budging at all - socket onto it and sprayed with WD40, but no go, so far. Have had broken bolts on my Rover V8 (alloy block I know) which required drilling, tap & die, in the past, so not wanting to go down that route if I can help it.
So before I really try in earnest and remove it, want to make sure it is it and then order a correct replacement. Was hoping to identify it by removing it, but as above, not yet.
Confirmation of unit and any advice on what best release all spray/heat to area etc, to loosen it, very much appreciated.

Kicks on 66

CCCUK Member
I think that sender is temp gauge? The oil sender is at the back of the block and on a β€˜72 it won’t be electric but I could be wrong?

Last edited:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
As Simon says, the sender at the front of the engine is the temperature. The oil sender on cars with electric oil gauges is above the oil filter, a metal "bulb" about 1 1/2 inches across. But, the 72 has (I think) a solid line connection and the fitting is up near the distributor.

Have a look at this video, which may help...

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There is no wiring for the oil sender for 1972, there is a small hose from that and then goes to the oil pressure gauge in dash
Check to see if the problem is from hose, connections or gauge
Sensor your trying to get off is for coolant temp and would be rusted to block/coolant jacket and good chance
you could break that off in block

I cannot recall for that year if oil pressure sensor is by oil filter or by distributor ?

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Guys, you are all so right. Temp gauge working perfectly, so no more fiddling with that unit! I did replace the poorly fitted wire connection on this before, so will not go near it again.
I do have a thin black plastic pipe coming from connection at rear of block beside distributor, going through firewall and I did disconnect it before and it seemed very dry in the orifice. If I started engine am I correct in assuming oil should be "pumped/flow" out of same, so I should know if the problem could be in pipe or at gauge itself?
Many thanks again,
Jim G

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Yep, I can confirm oil most certainly coming out of that little orifice! Will need to order some more from Opus ! πŸ˜‚ So it looks like I've either got a blockage in the pipe/connectors, or the gauge, or a faulty gauge.

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Yep, I can confirm oil most certainly coming out of that little orifice! Will need to order some more from Opus ! πŸ˜‚ So it looks like I've either got a blockage in the pipe/connectors, or the gauge, or a faulty gauge.
Much better ordering oil from Opie instead !! πŸ€”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Can you out a PSI test tool meter in place of the oil hose and test to be sure it is not the oil pressure sensor ?

Any easy way of getting under dash and remove the hose off the pressure gauge and determine with both ends
of hose open that it is not clogged up ?
Using a PSI tool connected to hose end that goes into gauge test to see what pressure is reporting
If all that checks out then it is the oil PSI gauge itself

GM uses special connectors on hose ends so do not lose them and replace with wrong type as they would leak

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Can you out a PSI test tool meter in place of the oil hose and test to be sure it is not the oil pressure sensor ?

Any easy way of getting under dash and remove the hose off the pressure gauge and determine with both ends
of hose open that it is not clogged up ?
Using a PSI tool connected to hose end that goes into gauge test to see what pressure is reporting
If all that checks out then it is the oil PSI gauge itself

GM uses special connectors on hose ends so do not lose them and replace with wrong type as they would leak
cheers for the above. As per the earlier posted video, going to remove gauge section of dash and do the above checks, maybe tonight or tomorrow and if I can find a psi tool!