Alarmed!

antijam

CCCUK Member
While tidying up my footwell areas in my '71 I removed the kick panels and found this horn and switch in the passenger side....

Horn.jpg:)

I remember seeing it when I bought the car and assumed it was an alarm but with closer examination it doesn't look like a factory fitment. No type of car intrusion seems to make it work but the switch does turn the footwell lighting on and off ??

The car has a keylock in the rear ....

lockswitch.jpg

.... that I assumed was a factory fitment to arm the alarm (most people think it's the lock to the non-existent boot :giggle:) but although I have a key to fit it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm tempted to remove the horn and switch, but can anyone confirm the keylock as factory fitted and whether the horn and switch are original?

johng

CCCUK Member
Pretty sure that's not original equipment. Not too sure about a 71 but I think the keylock is original. My 78 has the alarm switch built into the door lock and the horn is hidden down behind the front wheelarch near the washer bottle. It looks just like the normal horns.

TimP

CCCUK Member
My 72 has the keylock in the rear panel and there is (assuming it is original equipment) a single horn with a 8-9" trumpet that is housed on an aluminium plate (I think for anti interference) high in the wing behind the drivers side rear wheel. I don't seem to have a picture of it on my computer but I can send one tomorrow if it would help.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks as if the rear keylock is original but the horn is aftermarket. I was a bit premature in saying that nothing works; after more fiddling around with locks and switches I've discovered that with the rear keylock turned anti-clockwise and the footwell switch set to extinguish the interior lights, opening either door sets off a strident warble from the horn - so I do have a working alarm. My car can now make two cheery noises - the other is the strangled croak from under the hood if I forget to remove the ignition key before opening a door. Still it's better than the myriad different noises my modern Mustang can utter indicating that something is amiss; takes me time just to figure out what the latest one is trying to tell me!

antijam

CCCUK Member
What do you have in the other side?! Aren't speakers supposed to be there?

There's nothing in the other side. The kick panels certainly look designed to mount speakers but there's no evidence that mine ever have. The only radio speakers are mounted in the dash top panel.