Alternative to BFG or Coopers? 255 60 15?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Probably asked to death, but from what I can see, there are no 'quality brand' 255 60 15s out there that aren't in an off road tread pattern.

What decent tyres are people fitting to their late C3s other than BFG or Coopers?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
New tyres fitted locally (Bedford) 27th May 2021... x4 General Grabber HP's 255/60/R15 (not the cheaper 225/70's) inc fitting, valves & balancing (with no weights on the outside rim) for £516. Quite pleased with that.

Grabber HP.jpg

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks, I was hoping someone might point to an Avon, Toyo, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli etc.... do I assume they are simply not made anymore?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Thanks, I was hoping someone might point to an Avon, Toyo, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli etc.... do I assume they are simply not made anymore?

General are part of Continental.
Michelin own BF Goodrich.
Goodyear own Cooper who own Avon.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

You'll struggle to source any tyres in the sizes suitable for C3's etc from any of the leading European marketed companies.
The BFG's, Coopers, Generals etc are generally available in the UK with the BFG's right at the top of the tree pricewise (the other brands being less expensive).
If you are prepared to accept the fact that these sizes of USA sourced tyres were never historically classified with official speed ratings - and only now are rated with maximums of between 113 mph and 118 mph - and your 'mindset' is of the "well, the UK national speed limit is 70 mph, why would I need tyres that have a higher speed rating"?
The reason why you should perhaps consider a tyre with a speed rating 'matched' to the potential performance of your vehicle is not the fact that you'll ever drive at 120 mph or 140 mph - its because your C3 (depending on the year) is physically capable of those speeds. The stresses placed on tyres are not from just high speeds alone. Cornering speeds, the effects of torque from some of the higher powered engines will possibly have an effect on the longevit, safety and serviceabity of tyres.
Perhaps look at the Vitour Galaxy R1 255/60/15 @ £119.90 + vat. It's rated at 149 mph. Why not ask Forest Gump (Andy Maskery, Essex rep) - he has done a few track and vehicle handling days with these tyres - I'm sure he will share his thoughts.
Pirelli Cinturato CN12 is a 255/60/15 and speed rated at 168 mph - price £369.00 + vat
A race spec' but road legal Avon CR6ZZ 255/60/15 also rated at 149 mph but priced at £314.00 + vat. How good is it?, I don't know - perhaps ask forum regular One Ball in a few weeks when he's done his first track event?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Interesting, i didnt know you could even get Pirellis and Avons in that size.. the price would have ruled them out for me though.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Perhaps look at the Vitour Galaxy R1 255/60/15 @ £119.90 + vat. It's rated at 149 mph. Why not ask Forest Gump (Andy Maskery, Essex rep) - he has done a few track and vehicle handling days with these tyres - I'm sure he will share his thoughts.

Finding tyres with raised white lettering is the problem, and narrows down the available choice.

I thought I would try a set of the Galaxy R1 tyres from Northants Tyres after reading how Northants tyres developed this tyre with the manufacturer. The tread pattern is somewhere between modern and classic which appealed. The EU compliance label gives a wet grip rating of B which is better than most others.
Grip does seem good - I can put down 400bhp without problem. At a track day last year where cornering speeds were measured, the car was surprisingly close to much more modern machinery. Whilst that was not a particularly scientific comparison, it shows there’s not too much wrong with the grip from these tyres.

I have 225/70/15 which are £105+vat.

Pic of tyre on my car and an extract from Northants tyres website
80B23A7A-246C-4ED4-AA4A-C41EAE2B6315.png7439571F-3AE5-4CA8-B41D-01825C9AC166.png

Last triumph

Well-known user
General are part of Continental.
Michelin own BF Goodrich.
Goodyear own Cooper who own Avon.
Noted.

Shame they don't offer a higher performance
You'll struggle to source any tyres in the sizes suitable for C3's etc from any of the leading European marketed companies.
The BFG's, Coopers, Generals etc are generally available in the UK with the BFG's right at the top of the tree pricewise (the other brands being less expensive).
If you are prepared to accept the fact that these sizes of USA sourced tyres were never historically classified with official speed ratings - and only now are rated with maximums of between 113 mph and 118 mph - and your 'mindset' is of the "well, the UK national speed limit is 70 mph, why would I need tyres that have a higher speed rating"?
The reason why you should perhaps consider a tyre with a speed rating 'matched' to the potential performance of your vehicle is not the fact that you'll ever drive at 120 mph or 140 mph - its because your C3 (depending on the year) is physically capable of those speeds. The stresses placed on tyres are not from just high speeds alone. Cornering speeds, the effects of torque from some of the higher powered engines will possibly have an effect on the longevit, safety and serviceabity of tyres.
Pirelli Cinturato CN12 is a 255/60/15 and speed rated at 168 mph - price £369.00 + vat
A race spec' but road legal Avon CR6ZZ 255/60/15 also rated at 149 mph but priced at £314.00 + vat. How good is it?, I don't know - perhaps ask forum regular One Ball in a few weeks when he's done his first track event?

Thanks - can you post a link to the Avons please - I can't find the 255/60 15 size. I can see 225m but not 255

Roscobbc

Noted.

Shame they don't offer a higher performance

Thanks - can you post a link to the Avons please - I can't find the 255/60 15 size. I can see 225m but not 255

Not sure Avon do that actual size - Classic Tyres

phild

CCCUK Member
New tyres fitted locally (Bedford) 27th May 2021... x4 General Grabber HP's 255/60/R15 (not the cheaper 225/70's) inc fitting, valves & balancing (with no weights on the outside rim) for £516. Quite pleased with that.

View attachment 12167

Shameless solicitation. I have a brand new set of these mounted on new alloys in the for sale section. All in looking at £600.