Alternator Bracket

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’m not sure if I have the right adjustment bracket in my alternator as it doesn’t leave much room for adjustment without fouling the rocker cover. I thought it might be my covers but not so sure. Any ideas?

Top photo is mine
110CEEAF-DB2E-4833-859F-611763393CA3.jpeg
AFA0D85F-817F-45C0-A40C-729820972DA1.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
It looks like you could rotate your alternator closer to the valve covers, mine is very close, getting the belt on isn't easy.

IMGP1725.JPG

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It looks like you could rotate your alternator closer to the valve covers, mine is very close, getting the belt on isn't easy.

View attachment 10063

Only by about 1/2 inch along the slot whereas yours goes half way along. I wonder if mine has the wrong stay on it. Has yours got some sort of tensioner too? What year is yours again?
D03F846B-9F3B-49DD-8223-6DCEB01C7CAF.jpeg

Last edited:

johng

CCCUK Member
Well actually it's not really a tensioner, you are meant to leave a small gap between it and the belt. I guess it stops the belt flapping about.

johng

CCCUK Member
I've just noticed my stay goes behind the alternator, you've got yours in front, I think that's twisting it.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Oneball , Your alternator looks too far back along the side if the rocker cover . Also the pulleys don`t line up unless it is just the camera angle . Mine is a 1980 though .DSCF3033.JPG

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Oneball , Your alternator looks too far back along the side if the rocker cover . Also the pulleys don`t line up unless it is just the camera angle . Mine is a 1980 though .View attachment 10066

It’s just the camera angle. I checked the alignment to the pulley. It’s bang on.

Im going to see if I can find a late stay. Mine might not even be a Corvette one.

Alben78

Well-known user
Hope this helps, this is an original ‘78 but with a belt guide. The guide protects the top hose in the event of a belt failure. The biggest problem I had was access to the PS reservoir filler and level gauge. Never had a problem with belt removable or tensioning.

Attachments

• 61A9D3D9-0C00-49D6-97D2-19B7771A14B3.jpeg
    61A9D3D9-0C00-49D6-97D2-19B7771A14B3.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 4

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks both.
Mine is 285mm to the slot but only 90mm from there. So will look to get a different one. Thanks again.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hope this helps, this is an original ‘78 but with a belt guide. The guide protects the top hose in the event of a belt failure. The biggest problem I had was access to the PS reservoir filler and level gauge. Never had a problem with belt removable or tensioning.

Yours looks like John’s. No PS on mine so shouldn’t be a problem