Another C5 manual thread :)

Bill

Regular user
Morning

After many (about 20) years of hankering after a corvette, I'm back in the market for a C5.

There is a danger that I end up going over the same ground as the recent post from Last Triumph, as my preference is for a manual C5 without too many modifications and ideally a removable hard-top. I'll keep on top of that thread as well since I was also planning to ask about the general UK market for the 6-speed variants and whether they come up often, but will make this one a little more specific.

I've been to see Derek (who has been great) and am seriously considering his as it ticks many of the boxes. However some of the ‌investments in the car are not the direction I would have naturally taken it so I'm wondering how I might tone it down slightly. The colour is very striking and in good condition, so that is just something to lean into rather than change. However, I think I'd like to subdue the exhaust if I'm going to use it regularly. It currently has a Billy Boat Bullet set-up and although I can see the appeal, I'd rather go back to a quieter set-up so that it's not waking the neighbours every time I start it or head out. This may sound crazy to some, but I think that just being a 'vette is impactful enough. On this front, is anyone in the opposite camp and is sitting on a much quieter (even stock) exhaust that they might want to swap-out? As well as exploring these options plus some other things, I'll also see if I can go for a slightly longer test drive to see whether my first impressions still hold or whether I could happily cruise around in it.

There are also a couple of things that I'd like to fix/get opinions on as well, but maybe that is better as a separate thread as I need to head out now.

Many thanks for any input/thoughts. I'll keep tabs on the very similar thread so any advice on there is also great :)

Best regards,

Bill

robbiew

CCCUK Member
Had a billy boat years ago, the droning at certain speeds/revs was appaling
I have a 99 FRC, IF YOU WANT TO CHAT................................................................... 07811 615707

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
my preference is for a manual C5
Other than possibly "budget," any reasons why you would prefer a manual C5 to this mega low miles manual C6?
Airshod has put it on here first, giving us club members the first chance on it and hasn' t been advertised elsewhere as far as I can see? I remember talking to Adrian Dromey a few years back and asking him why he doesn't advertise his Vettes on here? His comment, if I remember correctly, was that EBay was the place to sell them, as he does.

Last edited:

Bill

Regular user
Had a billy boat years ago, the droning at certain speeds/revs was appaling
I have a 99 FRC, IF YOU WANT TO CHAT................................................................... 07811 615707
Thanks Robbie. I'll give you a bell as would be great to chat. I'm just out with the family this afternoon but will try later if I may. Bill

Bill

Regular user
Other than possibly "budget," any reasons why you would prefer a manual C5 to this mega low miles manual C6?
Airshod has put it on here first, giving us club members the first chance on it and hasn' t been advertised elsewhere as far as I can see? I remember talking to Adrian Dromey a few years back and asking him why he doesn't advertise his Vettes on here? His comment, if I remember correctly, was that EBay was the place to sell them, as he does.
Thanks - I'd not spotted that, though budget is likely to be an issue. I don't have great reception to view the pictures on the advert but will have a proper look when I get home.

Best regards,
Bill

jukebox

CCCUK Member
It may be the case that certain cars do have exhausts that 'drone' at certain speeds/gears but Bill was saying it was the loudness of the exhaust, not that the vehicle he was looking at was droning.

Bill

Regular user
Yes, I should clarify as I don't want to imply anything bad about Derek's car. The BB Bullet is a fairly loud system and, impressive as it is, I'm interested in exploring options for a quieter exhaust.

If anyone has taken off a stock exhaust and still has it then let me know.

Thanks all for contributing to the thread - much appreciated.

Bill

Regular user
Evening
As of last Sunday, I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful orange C5 and have been enjoying getting used to it over the last couple of days.
Thanks everyone for your input, and to Derek for the sale.
I've resolved my exhaust question (with some help from Gary) so will update that thread too.
Best regards,
Bill
IMG_20240414_122716.jpgIMG_20240414_122705.jpg