Another great issue - but.....

antijam

CCCUK Member
Decembers Vette News thudded on the doormat this morning and on a first quick flick through seems another excellent issue, however the headline on page 14 did make me cringe.
Come on guys, as classic car enthusiasts we shouldn't be perpetuating this all too common error.

Concourse - 'a large open area inside or in front of a public building'.
Concours - 'an exhibition or parade of vintage or classic motor vehicles in which prizes are awarded for those in the best or most original condition'

A 'Concours' could of course perhaps be held on a 'Concourse' - but then how do we decide which is which? :( :unsure:

Rant over - now looking forward to another good read.

Roscobbc

Wow......someone actually getting post......amazing (given that Royal Mail management seem 100% intent on making the business unsustainable) - letter deliveries are extremely sporadic.......Royal mail parcel service seems to be taking priorty though!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Decembers Vette News thudded on the doormat this morning and on a first quick flick through seems another excellent issue, however the headline on page 14 did make me cringe.
Come on guys, as classic car enthusiasts we shouldn't be perpetuating this all too common error.

Concours - 'an exhibition or parade of vintage or classic motor vehicles in which prizes are awarded for those in the best or most original condition'

A 'Concours' could of course perhaps be held on a 'Concourse' - but then how do we decide which is which? :( :unsure:

Rant over - now looking forward to another good read.
Not to be confused with Conkers either - the world championships take place in Northamptonshire every year and I am polishing mine already ! 🤣

rubyragtop

Committee Member
Not a very auspicious start to my editing skills (or lack of them)
I will ensure that I have a dictionary by my side to check every last word in the February edition.
Seriously though, I will hold my hands up to what is a glaring mistake, but quantify that with going a little word blind when trying to check every article and regional report that comes in and with a very limited time from receiving the items to publication of the magazine.
Jonny is excellent in what he does for the magazine and we would not have the quality magazine we have without his unpaid efforts. However, English is not his first language so mistakes like the one highlighted can easily slip by him. I took on the role to help him as no one else amongst our 1100 members wanted to. I have had no experience in doing this work previously having made my career in the Fire Service, however I am giving it my best shot and will endeavour to catch such obvious mistakes going forward from here. Hopefully we will have members submitting articles for the magazine in plenty of time before publication dates so that the workload close to publication deadlines is not so intense.

Roscobbc

Haven't seen December's issue (and perhaps never will with the seemingly Royal Mail management decison to prioritise parcel deliveries running up the Xmas) - I don't think any of us reading Vette News are the slightest bit concerned about the occasional typo or grammatical error - I know I inadvertedly let a few go through when I was editor. Can I respectly suggest that those who perhaps are a little concerned perhaps offer to 'proof' read the magazine copy.......it is all too easy to become 'blind' to typo's at timers and always helps having a couple of people reading through the text.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I will ensure that I have a dictionary by my side to check every last word in the February edition.
Seriously though, I will hold my hands up to what is a glaring mistake, but quantify that with going a little word blind when trying to check every article and regional report that comes in and with a very limited time from receiving the items to publication of the magazine.
Jonny is excellent in what he does for the magazine and we would not have the quality magazine we have without his unpaid efforts. However, English is not his first language so mistakes like the one highlighted can easily slip by him. I took on the role to help him as no one else amongst our 1100 members wanted to. I have had no experience in doing this work previously having made my career in the Fire Service, however I am giving it my best shot and will endeavour to catch such obvious mistakes going forward from here. Hopefully we will have members submitting articles for the magazine in plenty of time before publication dates so that the workload close to publication deadlines is not so intense.
I'm thinking of going on strike for more pay. Wait what pay 😆 Good job mate, not an easy role (boots) to fill

monty

CCCUK regional rep
Mine has not arrived yet and I won’t be concerned or bothered by any typo mistakes, I am grateful for every magazine that is published and lands through my letterbox (mr postman please deliver).
On a serious note as a regional rep I understand ( well my wife does as she does our regional reports) totally with the problems in getting it to press. The amount of time my wife puts into trying to make sure everything is ok/correct before it goes to our club magazine editors is a lot, therefore our editors must have a monumental task of proofing them when all the regional reports arrive on their desk.

Keep up the good work we appreciate it more than you know.

Mike Penn
Central South Region Rep

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Don`t be dis- heartened , your stirling work is very much appreciated by most of us at least . I will just be happy to receive mine if postie ever gets off his arse and does his job and don`t care if it has typo`s or smudgy pictures just as long as I get one to read !!

Stingray

CCCUK Member

These misunderstandings turn up pretty frequently. Some regulars include Mute point vs Moot point, Adieu vs Ado, En route vs On route.

More importantly, the "girls in Santa outfits" supplement appears to have been missing from my copy of Vette News.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
These misunderstandings turn up pretty frequently. Some regulars include Mute point vs Moot point, Adieu vs Ado, En route vs On route.

More importantly, the "girls in Santa outfits" supplement appears to have been missing from my copy of Vette News.

The bumper edition of girls in santa outfits (barely) came with my copy