Auto Transmission oil level

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Quick one here, how do you check the oil level in C4 Vette. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere. In my old C3 I know you had to warm engine up, go up and down the gears manually then check level with engine running, tranny in Park. Same for a C4?

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Mick, not sure what year your's is, but I did a quick search on "1994 Corvette Owners Manual" and got the pdf from GM. In there is says much the same as for a C3, get the car warm, (not hot, drive about 15 miles) and then go through the process of running through the gears while stopped with your foot on the brake. Then put it in N and with the engine running pull the dip stick, wipe it, replace for 3 seconds and read the level. Apparently a "hot" check (as above) should always be done if adding fluid as a "cold" check gives a low reading.

Buy the way, your car looked good in Classic & Sports Car Mag few months back in the Buyers Guide!

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Thanks, I was hoping it would be similar to the C3.
I had a great day with the photoshoot and interview, for the mag, also sent me a load of really hi resolution pics.

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Kentvette, checked this afternoon, hmmm tad low, took a whole litre!! Probably explains the slightly sluggish upchange at times, also an odd one, at speeds below 60, but over 47 when the change up to top locks in, on a right hand bend, sometimes it would change down, I am guessing low oil and maybe 'sloshing around, but only on right hand bends.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Kentvette, checked this afternoon, hmmm tad low, took a whole litre!! Probably explains the slightly sluggish upchange at times, also an odd one, at speeds below 60, but over 47 when the change up to top locks in, on a right hand bend, sometimes it would change down, I am guessing low oil and maybe 'sloshing around, but only on right hand bends.
Hi.. The dipped fluid should be clear and pinkish like cherryade. If its dark and smelly, it might need to be changed.
If you decide to service it, avoid the AC Delco Professional filter (got mine from Rockauto and a subsequent refund!) and gasket as it will not fit as the seal is just oversize enough to prevent it being inserted without a lot of force potentially denting the filter body.
ATP's Third hand filter kit is perfect though. It fits well and the gasket has smaller holes to retain the pan screws when refitting.
Fluidwise, the best deal I found with big discounts (50%-60% online, non CCCUK) is MPM Dexron 4 from Eurocarparts for a four litre bottle.
On Michelles 4L60E in her truck, we had a random top gear slippage problem which was fixed by an ATP service kit, MPM and a bottle of Lucasoil Stop Slip.

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the info, after I topped up (took a litre!) ran the engine to warm it up then checked again, the color was as you described. No slippage now as I mentioned in my post, and I have to say, the gear change is a lot smoother too. It was strange how the down change would only happen on right hand bends, I can only assume that the low level, coupled with fluid being forced to one side must have caused this.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Thanks for the info, after I topped up (took a litre!) ran the engine to warm it up then checked again, the color was as you described. No slippage now as I mentioned in my post, and I have to say, the gear change is a lot smoother too. It was strange how the down change would only happen on right hand bends, I can only assume that the low level, coupled with fluid being forced to one side must have caused this.
Sorted..
Maintaining the correct fluid level is very important as even overfilling can cause problems with slippage and subsequent heat and that is what kills autoboxes. 👍

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Mick, I missed this as I was away in the Corvette, in the Alps! Glad the additional fluid sorted the issue, and interesting that the low level caused the symptoms in did, especially the right turn thing!

After 1080 miles, much of it going up and down Cols, I think the old '78 is due a fluid and filter change over the winter! Such a "fun" job but, slightly less messy now that I know to pump out the fluid before releasing the trans sump bolts!

Redlevel

Well-known user
Mick, I missed this as I was away in the Corvette, in the Alps! Glad the additional fluid sorted the issue, and interesting that the low level caused the symptoms in did, especially the right turn thing!

After 1080 miles, much of it going up and down Cols, I think the old '78 is due a fluid and filter change over the winter! Such a "fun" job but, slightly less messy now that I know to pump out the fluid before releasing the trans sump bolts!
Its not so difficult if you release the bolts slowly from one end to another so the pan gradually drops down at one end first.
To collect the old fluid, I use one of those large plastic 'under bed storage' boxes with the removable lid. Big enough to catch all the fluid as it begins to run out.

Just for advice, when I did the 700R4 on my '87, I bought an AC Delco "professional" filter kit (Chinese made) but there's no way the new seal would press in attached to the filter pipe (tried for ages but it wouldn't fit and by this time the base of the filter itself was being pushed in) and I couldn't reuse the old seal as I had damaged it digging it out.
A contact to Rockauto and they apologised and refunded me, saying just bin the AC unit.
So, I bought an ATP 3rd hand kit off Rockauto and it fitted a treat! 3rd hand means that the gasket has two holes each side undersized to retain four of the screws so you can refit the pan by yourself, torquing the bolts to 10lbsft for a perfect, non leaking quick and simple job with minimal mess..
So simple, I decided to do the 4L60E on Michelles S10 truck too with another ATP filter/gasket 3rd hand product, again no problem and this time I added a bottle of Lucasoil Stop Slip as we had a problem with the D and OD clutch pack slipping.. Glad to say it doesn't slip anymore!

Last edited: