Battery Chargers for Optima Red Top

c6_pete

Regular user
Afternoon,

So, now I've decided to keep the C6 and get 2nd motor, the need for a battery charger has arisen, as I'm likely to be not using her as often as before (esp. over the winter months). Can anyone recommend one (I have an optima red top battery at the moment).

Thanks!

Rich

Administrator
Acting on information received from a fellow Camaro owner, I have shelved my C-Tek battery tender in favour of a Suaoki 7A ICS7 charger which cost me £45. This device can be programmed to tend to AGM batteries as fitted to my Camaro, and I believe the Red Top is also an AGM type. Hope this helps.

c6_pete

Regular user
Thanks Rich! I'll take a look! I do have an 'Optimate5 Voltmatic' which was recommended previously, but it didn't seem to keep the charge in the battery over a long period (or I may have been using it incorrectly if others have experience of it and they were positive!!!!).

Cheers

Rich

Administrator
Pete, the Suaoki has programmable features depending on what type of battery is being charged. I haven't had it long enough to give any sort of recommendation but I'm happy with it so far and I have taken some comfort that someone who knows about these things recommended it to a mere mortal like me, who knows nothing...............

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
I've had an Optima Red Top on the C5 for 10 years now without any problems. After a couple of weeks I connect up a Numax charger which has been great. It charges for a short while then automatically switches to monitoring during which time it'll top up if necessary. I previously had a Delran Battery Tender Plus but it either took out the previous battery or vice versa, either way both items were killed off.