Battery recommendations

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Think my battery is on the way out. Wouldn't start today after being left on the Ctek for a few weeks. Put my other charger on it for half an hour and it did start but my feeling is the battery has had better days (only recently got the battery maintainer).

So what would you all recommend?

Numax side terminal is the obvious choice however searching back on the forum I saw someone saying a Varta one but when I've looked I can't see side terminal Vartas?

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
I can recommend contacting www.tayna.co.uk as you can get a club discount and their service is excellent, if you call them they will advise you on options.
I bought a 75-70 ENDUROLINE SIDE TERMINAL BATTERY 12V 74AH from them last September, which was the second one I got from them, the first in spring 2017 so it lasted over six years (n.b. these have a four year guarantee). Yes, the car is garaged and I religiously use a smart CTEK charger. Recommended.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I can recommend contacting www.tayna.co.uk as you can get a club discount
Remind me, what's the magic of getting that Club discount? I need a battery for another car and am about to buy from Tayna.

Regarding C5, make sure you get a battery with enough grunt. Most of the batteries available in UK are correct fit for C5 (shape, size, terminals) but are intended for smaller cars so have lower CCA etc. Check electrical specifications carefully. That big V8 needs a similarly big battery.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Remind me, what's the magic of getting that Club discount? I need a battery for another car and am about to buy from Tayna.

Regarding C5, make sure you get a battery with enough grunt. Most of the batteries available in UK are correct fit for C5 (shape, size, terminals) but are intended for smaller cars so have lower CCA etc. Check electrical specifications carefully. That big V8 needs a similarly big battery.
Just click the 'benefits of membership' button at the top of this page then download the 'detailed member benefits' file (only available to club members) which explains how to get the 5% club discount, together with all the other club discounts. 👍

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Just checked & I bought an Optima Red Top 13 years ago for our C5. Always kept on a battery tender after a couple of weeks when not in use but in all that time it's been perfect. Here it is on Tayna's website:

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Thanks for all the advice. I'd looked at tayna and thought they had good options. I'll probably go for the Enduroline.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
I'm pleased to report that the 5% discount with Tayna has been reinstated with immediate effect.
Just click the 'benefits of membership' button at the top of this page then download the 'detailed member benefits' file (only available to club members) which explains how to get the 5% club discount, together with all the other club discounts.

Roscobbc

Just checked & I bought an Optima Red Top 13 years ago for our C5. Always kept on a battery tender after a couple of weeks when not in use but in all that time it's been perfect. Here it is on Tayna's website:
That's really impressive even for an Optima battery - seemed to see a number of conflicting life span experirnces over the last few years - several were barely compareable with conventional batteries making one wonder if Optima's traditional life span had 'slipped'? - if currently purchased batteries matched Five Red's 13 years life it would certainly 'pay' for itself (factoring-in the additional purchase cost of an Optima battery)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keep in mind the vendor who made that battery type sold out, and new owner degraded the quality & performance life of those red tops
for higher profit margins

The biggest saver of batteries is to use the battery tender

Both my C5 and old Caddy are both on tenders for weeks at a time and are 15 years old and even sitting for weeks unused with the tender the engines
crank and start right up and show a good State of Charge (SOC)