Battery replacement

Roscobbc

Kinda following-on from the C3 headlamp thread I thought it was time to relate my recent battery 'issues'. I'd been having starting issues for some time following on from a few years ago when the engine backfired on start-up and chipped-off a tooth on the starter opinion. Fellow Essex member and good buddy Tony Rudd gave me an old GM starter off a truck that had a fractured casing. The commutator was fine and swapping it for the Vette it was up and running once again.....kind-of. Always a good first turn instant starter it was always a problem though on hot start-ups with the pinion only engaging after 5 or 6 'pulls'. So bought a new Stock type starter. The starting problems finally seemed to have solved......for about six months. Once again 'hot' starts were a problem. Battery was perhaps 5 or 6 years old and charged up fine and showing a good voltage and starting the car fine (except for hot starts) - I resigned myself to perhaps needing to buy a geared mini starter or upgrade the battery to starter and earth cables. Problem resolved itself last weekend. Went out in the garage to start the car up and the battery was dead, open circuit (wouldn't even take a charge). This was after leaving the car for 3 weeks with a fully charged battery (and a isolator). So a new 086 76 a/he 680 cc'd Yuasa battery was installed. Everything now seems OK. It is starting when hot. We'll see how in performs in the height of summer.
Not bad really - it's the third battery in 20 years.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm reckoning on getting about 6 years out of a battery now. I think the one that came in the car when we bought it, in 1990, was a GM one that Tom Falconer fitted before sale. That lasted 8 years and in those days we didn't have a garage with power, so it was just disconnected.

The next 2 batteries were GM items, but I think a tad lower CCA as they were for a Vauxhall, (the V8 thing I think, whose name escapes me!) They managed about 5 - 5 1/2 years.

We had a couple of Tayna since and they've managed 6 years each. I fitted the latest at the end of last year - of course, it's hardly done anything except sit in the garage for most of 2020!

So you're doing about average Ross!

Roscobbc

100% perfect - held in place by support bracket one side and fixing clamp the other. +ve terminal to front left -ve to front right. No room for a larger battery.....