Bonhams auction 21/1/23 UK ZR2

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Well tomorrow’s the big day for the UK sourced ZR2 coupe.
Estimated at a wide $200k-400k

Best of luck with the sale.D3433ABA-BE11-4888-BBE5-17AE359715CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Having been involved in this from the start I'm very interested in how it pans out. The family cleared 900k for the Miura and 400k for the Count so not hurting for cash and 15 other classics still to sell including the split. I keep in touch with Paul the mechanic of 47 years that looked after the cars. Spoke tonight re; going over to their massive workshop and clearing out a load of parts they've offered for free. Two T tops, 2 C3 seats, PO2's, signs, tools - all sorts. They'll be offered to members for free bar delivery soon. Paul who came to the Lakes with the ZR2 is heart broken to see it all sold off and is staying to see it through like he promised Mal on his deathbed.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
It’s auction week out in Arizona, and yesterday big money change hands for the Orange 1969 Corvette ZL-1 Convertible at the 25th Annual RM Sothebys auction in Scottsdale.

da9b4.jpg

The car is said to be one of two equipped with the mythical ZL-1, an all-aluminum version of the L88, and the only one that was a convertible.

Predicting that the sale would fetch between $2.6 and $3.0 million, the hammer price was $2.85 million and with commission,
the total selling price was $3.14 million US !

0126232b.jpg

The cost of the aluminum block, aluminum head engine ($4718.35) was nearly the same price as the base convertible, and because it was designed to be a race car, it had none of the creature comforts like the heater, radio, power steering.

John Mayer purchased the car in 1968 and after trading in a 1968 L88, he became the owner of the first “factory-documented” ZL-1 Corvettes and the only ZL-1 in a convertible. Maher nicknamed the car “Winning Automatically”
A nod to the automatic transmission, and together they would terrorize the competition at events across western Pennsylvania.

In September 1969, the original ZL-1 engine had blown and replaced by another under warranty.

1222b.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Hey we get a mention in the auction site blurb for the ZR2:

A diligent and caring custodian, Mal wrote to all of the previous owners to get first hand reports of their time with the car—each of which included numerous memories of its raw power and speed. A file of invoices speaks to the regular service the car received. After Mal's passing, the car was shown at the Corvette Club UK's 'Corvettes at the Lakes' show last year where it won Judge's Choice for 1968-72 C3s.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I thought it would have made more than that, being such a rare car. Yes, $200K is still a chunk of change for a car, but still, considering its rarity I would have thought it would have made more.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Having been involved in this from the start I'm very interested in how it pans out. The family cleared 900k for the Miura and 400k for the Count so not hurting for cash and 15 other classics still to sell including the split. I keep in touch with Paul the mechanic of 47 years that looked after the cars. Spoke tonight re; going over to their massive workshop and clearing out a load of parts they've offered for free. Two T tops, 2 C3 seats, PO2's, signs, tools - all sorts. They'll be offered to members for free bar delivery soon. Paul who came to the Lakes with the ZR2 is heart broken to see it all sold off and is staying to see it through like he promised Mal on his deathbed.
That’s really good of him to let the spares go for free. I’d definitely be interested in the PO2’s if they’re not already taken. I’d be more than happy to make a donation to the club or charity etc if they don’t want paying for them 👍

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
That’s really good of him to let the spares go for free. I’d definitely be interested in the PO2’s if they’re not already taken. I’d be more than happy to make a donation to the club or charity etc if they don’t want paying for them 👍
Just got back with a car load. There's 7 PO2's in varying condition but I think you could get a decent set of four out of them as the three parts of each one are interchangeable. I restored a set a few years back and the hardest part is the outer edge of the stainless back plate as it's twin wall stainless and hard to get road rash out of. I'll unload them tomorrow and get some pics along with the rest of it.

The four I did which are now surplus as well

Attachments

• 20181209_164206_resized.jpg
    20181209_164206_resized.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20181107_183907_resized.jpg
    20181107_183907_resized.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 9

Letank

CCCUK Member
Just got back with a car load. There's 7 PO2's in varying condition but I think you could get a decent set of four out of them as the three parts of each one are interchangeable. I restored a set a few years back and the hardest part is the outer edge of the stainless back plate as it's twin wall stainless and hard to get road rash out of. I'll unload them tomorrow and get some pics along with the rest of it.

The four I did which are now surplus as well
Thanks Stuart. Much appreciated 👍