Bouncing/bouncy speedo

V8Adam

Busy user
Hi everybody,
I have a small problem on my 1981 Corvette. The speedo is quite bouncy. Especially at low speed. At low speed it will jump slowly from 0 to approx 5 mph, about once per second. Is it just a case of getting some lube in where the cable connects?

Roscobbc

Hi everybody,
I have a small problem on my 1981 Corvette. The speedo is quite bouncy. Especially at low speed. At low speed it will jump slowly from 0 to approx 5 mph, about once per second. Is it just a case of getting some lube in where the cable connects?
Sounds as though the speedo cable has a 'clink' somewhere over its run. Suggest perhaps 'pulling' inner and lubricating?

Roscobbc

There is (was) a right angled adaptor avaialable to screw in to the rear of the speedo head - this would minimise the bend radius of the cable under the dash.

V8Adam

Busy user
Ah, that's good to know! I will have a look around for one of those if it looks like the angle is awkward/lube does not work.

V8Adam

Busy user
Just for anybody who comes across this thread, I found the answer to my bouncing problem:

My 1981 Corvette is fitted with cruise control. This means that the speed cable goes from the gauge, to the cruise module, then down to the transmission. Due to this, it requires a shorter cable (gauge to cruise) then a longer cable (cruise to transmission). Somebody has fitted a standard length cable to mine and just coiled it around in the void. This has caused the wire inside to run against the sleeving, hence the bouncing.

The correct part is here:
77-82 SPEEDOMETER UPPER & 69-74 TACH / TACHOMETER CABLE - 23