Break callipers 81 C3

Classic1275cc

Regular user
Who have people used to get replacement stainless sleeved O-ring callipers from the UK? Or had there’s fully rebuilt and sleeved?

Didn’t really want to buy from America because of the postage to get mine over there for the core charge (plus one bleed nipple thread is stripped and don’t think there is enough meat left to helicoil it as well as the difficulty of lining up the new thread perfectly with the taper for the taper seal to work)

corvette kingdom is very expensive for their callipers to buy just the front right without core exchange is £300! Might as well put a set of wilwood pads callipers and disks on the front and not look at it again for 10 years (£892.80)

I have the ability and tools to clock the rotors which are within thickness tolerance so have a bit of life on them yet so perhaps good value rebuilt callipers could be a viable option

thoughts, experiences welcome 🙏

thanks, Will

M

Martinshort

Who have people used to get replacement stainless sleeved O-ring callipers from the UK? Or had there’s fully rebuilt and sleeved?

Didn’t really want to buy from America because of the postage to get mine over there for the core charge (plus one bleed nipple thread is stripped and don’t think there is enough meat left to helicoil it as well as the difficulty of lining up the new thread perfectly with the taper for the taper seal to work)

corvette kingdom is very expensive for their callipers to buy just the front right without core exchange is £300! Might as well put a set of wilwood pads callipers and disks on the front and not look at it again for 10 years (£892.80)

I have the ability and tools to clock the rotors which are within thickness tolerance so have a bit of life on them yet so perhaps good value rebuilt callipers could be a viable option

thoughts, experiences welcome 🙏

thanks, Will

View attachment 4033
I totally agree very expensive I rebuilt mine with O ring kits ,all 4 for £250

johng

CCCUK Member
both front calipers from Rockauto, remanufactured ACDelco with stainless steel sleeves $400 including shipping, VAT and core charge. If they've got what you want Rockauto are hard to beat.

Roscobbc

Are you 100% sure the car doesn't already have stainless 'sleeved' calipers? - its quite obvious when inspecting. If so you'll best order new pistons with 'o' rings (not lip seals) then other than regular fluid replacement you shouldn't need to change them for years. IF you already have stainless sleeved calipers some detailed attention to cleaning them thoroughly will improve the lifespan. If the caliper surface is rough use the finest grade of steel wool to clean the surface followed by 1000 grade Crocus paper. Did mine 15 years ago and they are holding out great.
If you need 'new' replacements calipers due to the stripped thread you can try Corvette Kingdom, Eurovettes, EMC performance, Customville, or as suggested Rock Auto - just made sure when paying you pay the VAT up-front and remember you'll 'loose' the core charge.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The benefit of Wilwoods is extra stopping power, better heat dissipation and cosmetic, with your standard wheels you will only get the benefit from the heat dissipation (if you need it), the extra stopping power comes from the bigger discs, that will not fit under the 15" wheels.
There are some on here that will disagree, but I only use anhydrous brake fluid, it also protects the Master Cylinder which is not stainless steel lined.