buying 61 vette in usa

Latviajoe

Regular user
Hi all Just signed up to this forum,not yet a corvette owner.I would appreciate a little advice on buying a 61 blind as cant travel to see in usa.Car seems in ok condition with repl acement L82-350 engine and harrison rad + close ratio 4 speed and added aircon.Now ,although i have owned a few yanks (56 Bel air ,59 Biscayne ,dodge kingsway and couple f150 lightnings) i am not up to speed with vettes even though always wanted one.thats if ,at 71,i can get my old bones in it.Wasoffered at $57 k ,i offered $46k he came back with $48k so thought that wasnt too bad.Can anyone advise on what to beware of and importing etc.It would really be appreciated.thanks Chris

Roscobbc

Most people will be out of their depth sourcing from the USA so, so much that can go wrong. You really need some help from someone who's done this before $46K is a lot of money for a bad vehicle. Better off giving yourself 6 months to find one in the UK (presuming you're UK based).

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
This one looked lovely/great price (?) the other day?:

Latviajoe

Regular user
Yes Mate,I am based in UK but been looking for one over here for ages.I viewed one last week at Anglia classic auction,registered to bid ,estimate 37.5 to 44 ,it flew away at 51 + 8% buyers premium ,bit out of my budget ,I never got a bid in.Seems all sales over here command good money .I have circa 40 k ish to spend on one ,don’t mind some work I’m ok on mechanics and used to spray fire engines years ago .Now I’m retired 71 years old and would like to fulfill the dream.Ive had bel air 56 dodge 59 biscayne 59 and couple of f150 lightnings.Now want c1 even though I probably need a shoe horn to get me in and my wife says I will look like a clown driving it .Who cares .I know you probably right but at 71 ,how long can I wait .cheers Chris

Latviajoe

Regular user
I actually messaged the chap selling this beaut ,told me he wouldn’t take a penny under 55 ,but either he did or he still has it

kenton

CCCUK Member
Kinda bought my '59 blind, I had an assessor in the US, local to where the car was, to go and inspect it, he came back with a report (warts and all) They normally won't give you a guide on wether or not it is worth the money, just list the pro's and con's. Got my guy from searching the internet.

Oh how did it turn out? Pretty accurate, picked up on a few things that needed doing that were in addition to how the seller had listed it, got a few dollars more off the price. He also acted as escrow for the payment, called me when the car was loaded onto the haulier and transferred the money to the sellers account so it could be released.

All in all very smooth.

Alben78

Well-known user
Whatever you do don’t forget to factor in shipping, UK import duty and VAT to any American sourced car. There are very few C1 bargains now, even the restomod vehicles go for good money. Original numbers matching are getting to silly levels for U K buyers at the current exchange rate.

kenton

CCCUK Member
Good advice Alben78. If a car is over 30 years old you don’t need to pay any duty and the VAT is 5% so not too painful, it will get inspected when it reaches the U.K. allow longer than you think for shipping, book a container space rather than RoRo and make sure you insure for loss or damage. If the container falls during transit the freight forwarder is not liable and you loose everything.

Mine took just over 2 months door to door and I lost the hub caps and they damaged the roof.

Alben78

Well-known user
With the caveat also opens the possibility of importing on this favourable basis a vehicle that is less than 30 years old, if you can demonstrate that the particular model ‘evidences a significant step in the evolution of human achievements or illustrates a period of that evolution’. If there is doubt whether a car will qualify for the reduced rate, you can apply for a binding tariff information, which is effectively an advance clearance."

Roscobbc

Latviajoe if you are really serious about a '61 you'll most likely need to up your budget for a half decent car. If you are happy to accept a resto project (possibly still a runner) which mat be a bit of a bitzer and are prepared to search and wait you mat be lucky. I have a buddy with contacts in the USA who may be able to help. First you need to physically get in one to see if you can get comfortable - C1's you don't sit 'in' them as much as sit 'on' them. Later cars like C3's you sit down 'in' them - possibly more comfortable for 'old bones'?
Call me if I can be of further help (contact details are shown elsewhere on the forum)

Alben78

Well-known user
Sold this one about 5 years ago in the States for 50k $$ non original 350 sb but new paint and interior rebuild new wheels and tyres. Drove well but as not numbers matching buyers were limited.

Attachments

• B06C2178-80D0-43EC-ACD7-7D98E2FA5E2E.jpeg
    B06C2178-80D0-43EC-ACD7-7D98E2FA5E2E.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 7BE88AFD-067D-4D31-A326-566178D22AC9.jpeg
    7BE88AFD-067D-4D31-A326-566178D22AC9.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 80B5354E-57A8-47D8-AC07-76AFA104535C.jpeg
    80B5354E-57A8-47D8-AC07-76AFA104535C.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 9

Latviajoe

Regular user
Hi all,sorry havent had chance to post any replies on here for a while ,have been really busy as just moved house.I have still been looking on line usa.I found one in oaklahoma ,paid a member of the vette club ($500) to inspect it.Turned out was ok ish but was a mix of 61 and 62 parts.got e mail from nice bloke on forum in usa about one outside of tulsa.He offered to inspect it for me which he did last tuesday and sent me long report.He said didnt want paying for inspection but will be sending him some dollars.Anyway turns out this is a bit more like original.Not a show car by any means but decent driver car (62) 340 bhp.Needs a bit of work but im up for that and im going to try him on $46k see what he says .Now im wondering if anyone can advise what happens when it gets to felixstowe?It wont be 100% roadworthy but it is 58 years old .Do they require itvto be roadworthy to take it from docks on trailer?I know will be some costs but part of the pleasure of car will be my doing necessary work myself.Anyone help?

Corvette

Well-known user
Driving away from the docks is always a grey area. there Are two cars in this country that can drive on the road legally without a number plate, 1. Her Majesty’s car. 2. A car that is unregistered but has an Mot booked on the VIN plate And driving to and from the MOT test centre. Obviously car has to be insured. When I was younger I always felt I would Get pulled over so put an old numberplate on, silly really as I was legal without it illegal with it On.