C1 registration

TimA

CCCUK Member
Hi just joined the club, after importing my 1960 Vette from Canada. It took months as it was on the West side, but eventually got it via Ship my car, and the car is as good as I hoped it would be. So, they sent off the registration to DVLA, and after 6 weeks, DVLA decided on an inspection, which took another 4 weeks via a private company. They sent off the report after taking photos etc, and another 4 weeks went by. Then I got a letter from the DVLA saying that they need an original letter from the Canadian authorities, explaining why the VIN plate was changed, which happened during the restoration. Which is going to be tough! I have been told by the shipper that if I cant get this, the car will probably never be registered in the UK! The car is totally original apart from disc brakes on the front, an adjustable power steering unit added, and a 327 upgrade when it was restored.
My question is, has anyone else had this sort of experience with the DVLA, and if so what is the answer?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I once had a lost Canadian title on a car I imported. I contacted the DMV from where the car was registered ( Quebec) and they got me a replacement. Cost was about $50CA from memory) Car was registered without problems.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s something that they’ve just started to get hot on apparently. Lots of talk about it amongst Mini types. If the car does not have the original vin tag you’re in for a tough time with a lot of cars, Minis are a prime example where the pressed plate is the only record of the vin number.

That’s not the case with Vette’s as the chassis number is stamped on the chassis or door post on early C1s I think.

Does it have the original chassis number stamping rather than the vin tag?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just read your post again, is the vin number on the car different to the vin number on your title. If it is, I’m surprised it was let out of Canada, and the shipper should have been stopped from shipping it until they had confirmation as to why the different vin numbers. This could possibly be a major problem.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Just read your post again, is the vin number on the car different to the vin number on your title. If it is, I’m surprised it was let out of Canada, and the shipper should have been stopped from shipping it until they had confirmation as to why the different vin numbers. This could possibly be a major problem.
I don’t think it’s the number that is different. It’s that the plate is new. Number is what it should be.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
When plates are removed for restoration etc in the US, everything has to be carefully logged, and usually both the police and the DMV have to be informed, and are usually on site when the new plate or original plate is put back in position and paperwork issued to confirm same.
This problem sometimes happens between different states when the car moves from one state to another, hence the police/state DMV paperwork required.
Not sure how this would or could be sorted out as the car is now in the UK. Sounds like the DVLA is being a bit picky especially as the vin is both the same on plate and title.

TimA

CCCUK Member
It’s something that they’ve just started to get hot on apparently. Lots of talk about it amongst Mini types. If the car does not have the original vin tag you’re in for a tough time with a lot of cars, Minis are a prime example where the pressed plate is the only record of the vin number.

That’s not the case with Vette’s as the chassis number is stamped on the chassis or door post on early C1s I think.

Does it have the original chassis number stamping rather than the vin tag?
Hi

the VIN number is correct, but the Canadian authority change the actual plate (in the door frame), and it reads 'replacemant Vin' then the VIN number underneath.
I dont know where else on tha car the chassis number or VIN number would be also stamped.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here is lots of design and info for 1960 Corvette '
I included below a 65-page PDF from GM engineering, so download, save and review to see all the history of design
and all the specs

1960 Corvette Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN)​

VIN Range00867S100001 – 00867S110261
0 (First Digit)Model year (“0” for 1960)
08 (Second & Third Digit)General Motors identification/series code for Chevrolet Corvette.
37 or 67 (Fourth & Fifth Digit)“37” for Coupe, “67” for Convertible.
S (Sixth Digit)Location of the Assembly Plant. S – St. Louis, Missouri.
1XXXXX (Seventh thru Twelfth Digits)Production Sequence Numbers (or Unit Number).

The last six digits begin at 100001 and run thru 110261, accounting for each of the 10,261 Corvettes built-in 1960.
Each Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is unique to an individual car.
For all 1960 Corvettes, the location of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is located on the steering column in the engine compartment.

The 1960 Corvette is the first year that did not feature the VIN tag in the door jamb
(as with all previous models).
It is also the first-year Corvette that included a VIN that was in excess of ten digits.
The VIN is also stamped on several locations on the Corvette frame.

Attachments

• 1960Corvette.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

TimA

CCCUK Member
Here is lots of design and info for 1960 Corvette '
I included below a 65-page PDF from GM engineering, so download, save and review to see all the history of design
and all the specs

1960 Corvette Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN)​

VIN Range00867S100001 – 00867S110261
0 (First Digit)Model year (“0” for 1960)
08 (Second & Third Digit)General Motors identification/series code for Chevrolet Corvette.
37 or 67 (Fourth & Fifth Digit)“37” for Coupe, “67” for Convertible.
S (Sixth Digit)Location of the Assembly Plant. S – St. Louis, Missouri.
1XXXXX (Seventh thru Twelfth Digits)Production Sequence Numbers (or Unit Number).

The last six digits begin at 100001 and run thru 110261, accounting for each of the 10,261 Corvettes built-in 1960.
Each Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is unique to an individual car.
For all 1960 Corvettes, the location of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is located on the steering column in the engine compartment.

The 1960 Corvette is the first year that did not feature the VIN tag in the door jamb
(as with all previous models).
It is also the first-year Corvette that included a VIN that was in excess of ten digits.
The VIN is also stamped on several locations on the Corvette frame.
Hi
Thanks that's really useful! I now know why the VIN plate is in the door jam. The power steering unit required the original steering column to be cut and a section was replaced. This I guess was the part that had the VIN number plate on it, hence why the the replacement VIN plate was added.
This adds help to my cause.
I will also arrange to get the car up on a ramp and see where the other VIN numbers are, so that I can photograph them. Presumably the PDF that you sent, will likely show where the other numbers are located?

thanks again

Tim

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
According to the Corvette experts the first 1400 or so 1960 corvettes had their vin plate on the door jam. About December 60 it was relocated to the steering column.
It’s a terrible can of worms stateside to move a vin plate. Might be worth contacting the state/county’s DMV ( if you know it) to shed further light on it . If it was done correctly there will be paperwork on it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Chevrolet began stamping the VIN on Corvette engines and transmissions in 1960.

Before 1968, when a federal law required this serial number to be visible from the outside of the car, the Corvette's VIN was either located on the steering column (1960–1962 models) or on a brace below the glove compartment (1963–1967 models).
For 1968 and newer Corvettes, the VIN is stamped either somewhere on the A-pillar supporting the windshield or on the dashboard, allowing you to read it through the windshield.

These simple digits reveal a wealth of information about your Corvette, including its manufacture year, the assembly plant where it was built, and the model. The last six digits of the VIN are the car's production number, which are unique for each Corvette.

For Corvettes built before 1960, VINs and engine stamps can give you clues about the correct engine. But no production number definitely mates one to the other. By comparing codes for the engine type and horsepower, the engine cast date, engine build date, and the car's build date, it is possible to determine if the engine is original or not. Proper documentation can help authenticate the matching numbers, but you may need an expert to help you validate how much of that pre-1960 car is actually original.

To find the number on the engine pad, look for a stamped series of numbers near the right-hand cylinder head on the front of the engine (1960–1991 models) or on the rear of the engine (1992–1996 models).

Untitled-1.jpg

This stamp includes codes outlining where the engine was built, the engine size, the casting date, the assembly date, and the serial number. Mecum Auctions, one of the largest auction houses for classic and collectible cars, requires sellers who claim matching numbers to verify four numbers on the block: engine casting number, engine casting date, engine assembly date, and the VIN or serial derivative.

If you are unable to locate the engine stamp, use a soft cloth to gently clean away any grease or dirt built up on the block. If you clean the engine and the number is still missing, it may have been sanded off during a motor rebuild.

The last six digits of the engine stamp are the serial number, which should match the production number on the Corvette's VIN. Cast date and assembly date (also called build date) are two other key clues to corroborate an original engine; both dates should be a few months prior to the build date on the body.

For a matching numbers Corvette, the most important thing is to have the original engine. Having other parts with the correct numbers can also be important if you want to maintain as high of a level of factory-correctness as possible.

On the transmission, the exact location of the code depends on the brand.
The code on many classic Saginaw, Muncie, and Turbo Hyrda- matic transmissions, for example, is located on a stamp or plate on the right-hand side of the transmission case.
On this code, the first digits reveal the manufacturer, model year, and assembly plant. The final six numbers are the production sequence.
On a matching numbers' transmission, these six numbers will match the production number on the VIN and engine stamp.

The next step is to analyze the numbers on components like the alternator, carburetor, distributor, generator, starter, and water pump. Checking these codes should easily allow you to determine which parts have been replaced. Even if these numbers don't match the VIN, they should match the sequence of production. Because these numbers change through the years, use a source specific to your model to look up the correct part numbers for your Corvette.

Find the frame stamp on top of the frame rail between the frame and the body under the area near the driver's seat.
Hard to read without cleaning the top of the frame somehow and possibly lifting the body.
Most of the time it can be done with a small mirror between the body and top of the frame.

47a.jpg