C2 = The widow maker

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A very unusual nickname has stuck with the C2 for many years, and certain older generations still jokingly refer to them by that name
“ The widow maker” this moniker covered all sting-rays from 1963-67. Why, because from the mid sixties many US serviceman returned from Vietnam flush with money, as they lived very cheaply out there, and bought the latest sting-Ray they could afford. Unfortunately many crashed their new steed and died. Hence the nickname for the Sting Ray “the widow maker.

Poor old Jan Berry of the duo Jan and Dean crashed his new 1966 coupe just after getting his call up ( draft) papers on Whittier road right near deadman’s curve in LA. Ironically Jan and Dean had a big hit with their song deadman’s curve, a race between a sting Ray and a XKE.

He survived the crash so his 66 wasn’t actually a widow maker, but It certainly didn’t look pretty
IMG_2052.jpeg

Roscobbc

It's interesting if you relate the 'widowmaker' analogy to a fair number of other performance era (predominantly big block/hi-po engined) muscle cars back 'in the day' here in UK in the 70s/80's....for example big block Mustangs here in UK had a high rate of write-offs due to drivers 'loosing-it' under power. Can apply same logic in more recent years with C6Z06's perhaps?

antijam

CCCUK Member
I well remember a bum clenching drive in a Porsche 911 Turbo back in the early '80's. With years of concentrated development Porsche have turned the normally less than ideal combination of rear engine rear wheel drive into a remarkably well balanced sports car, however the '70's 911 Turbo pushed balance beyond the limits of predictability.
It quickly gained the unwelcome 'Widowmaker' moniker before being withdrawn from sale in '79.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I tried to get my ole school English boss to buy a 911 turbo in the late yuppie eighties. He was very British in his cars Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin, Bristol. Bought a new one every year, didn’t sell the previous one so had a nice stable of cars. A German car ? No way. ( ex para by the way) however I did manage to get him to buy a New for 1984 Ferrari testarossa. He didn’t like it, and I probably did more miles around the city than he did. I remember writing out the cheque for it £62,666.66. A fortune in 1984. I sold it for him in 88 for £150k.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Buddie of mine ran a Ferrari 512 for close to 150K miles - serviced it religiously - it was very reliable......he took a 'hit' when selling it with that mileage. He's now at 210K miles on his Shelby GT500, again with great reliability......certainly until just recently.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wow, that’s some mileage on a “fragile “ Ferrari engine as a lot of folks call them.
It’s all about the maintenance.
I remember reading something from Tom Falconer, saying somebody he knew was a “top up” only man. Never changed his oil, just topped up as needed. His car had over 200k miles on it, and it ran like a Rolex watch.
His sump must have had some goo in the bottom me thinks 😂

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Mind you, thinking back some of my family ran their VW transporters like that. Never saw a service bay, they only topped up as needed. Most of the time it was either me or dad who dipped the oil, always Low.
But they always kept going.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
At the NEC last year with the L72 on the club stand, a very large gentleman walked up and said in a Southern drawl never thought I'd see a Widow Maker here in the UK. Must have been 6' 7"

It does feel like it want's to kill you

Roscobbc

At the NEC last year with the L72 on the club stand, a very large gentleman walked up and said in a Southern drawl never thought I'd see a Widow Maker here in the UK. Must have been 6' 7"

It does feel like it want's to kill you
With so many speed restrictions, cameras and anti car measures here in outer London/south west Essex......and the sheer volume of traffic........ its very difficult to properly 'exercise' my '68.........but that term "Widowmaker" (certainly with my cars 'expanded' power output) is so valid. I went to a recently resurrected weekday evening car meet (Dick Turpin, Basidon) this week. The return journey mid evening on a relatively quiet 70 mph dual carriageway road was a pleaseant change. But even at speeds adjacent to our national limit I still get surprised when running in the lower gears even the slightest touch or dew or moisture on the road surface can start the rear end 'waggling' like a duck..........and thats with modern, wide low profile tyres.......and C2's were limited on wheel and tyre sizes........your comment "It does feel like it want's to kill you" is sooooo valid - yes, widowmakers indeed! -