C3 Air con, to delete or not? Your thoughts on value

Classic1275cc

Regular user
Hello

I am restoring everything front of the windscreen on my 81 C3 (see an Instagram white.stingray for photos)

The air con didn’t work when I got it (large leak somewhere says previous owner)

Id like to delete it and have got the blanking plate from Ecklers (p/no 25-255074-1)

My question is, within the limited UK C3 market does not having the air on on the car REALLY hurt the value? Would you lot when looking to buy a C3, one that’s got show quality running gear and an immaculate engine bay (when finished) really be put off? Bearing in mind this last summer I went to a show on the hottest day with the heater stuck 1/4 open and it was fine in my opinion, v8, windows down, side pipes perfect day

I’m not really planning on selling when it’s done just thinking of the future, getting 50/50 responses from car friends that think air con deletes are the worst thing ever and others tell me yeah whip that crap off save the weight gain the space and save the cost

Thanks for your inputs

kentvette

CCCUK Member
If it was me, and I was taking the trouble that you apparently are to get the engine bay "restored", I'd get it repaired and re-installed. The actual value may not be affected, but it may make it easier to sell, should that be the end-game. And, the recent post about the fitting of fan belts in non-A/C cars would be enough to encourage me to keep it! :)

When we lived in the UK we rarely used the A/C and as a result, it gradually died. (There may have been a compressor issue as well, but its too long ago to remeber!). When we moved out here I suddeny realised just how hot the interior of a post-'78 Vette can become on a real sunny day, and I regret not getting the A/C sorted years ago. Now, it needs so much I' doubt its within my capability. If you have the engine bay stripped ou, now is the time to tackle it once and for all. And who knows what may be in store for the car in the future.....

Alben78

Well-known user
Had the A/C on my 78 recharged a few times but lasted less than 12 months each time. Looked at having it modded to accept latest gas but was advised all rubber hoses and other parts would need replacing at a substantial cost even though I can source and self import from the States. Decided not to bother. All original parts still in place so if the next owner decides they need A/C then it’s all there and they can make the decision. Interesting to see if that effects value when time to sell arrives.

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Think the A/C should be installed TBH. However.....do we really get long, blistering summers in the UK anymore that call for it? Answers on a postcard hey :unsure:

Redlevel

Well-known user
If your fixing it up to make money on it then sort the AC.
If its a keeper and driver, then dump it.

My '87 lost its AC, A.I.R. radio, spare and tray, tools, cruise, EVAP system, all vacuum lines and a few other bits. It weighs just over 3000lbs now. I bought it to keep and use, no interest in its value as that'll be someone else's problem! 😁20191122_190749.jpg

Dazaa

Well-known user
Had the A/C on my 78 recharged a few times but lasted less than 12 months each time. Looked at having it modded to accept latest gas but was advised all rubber hoses and other parts would need replacing at a substantial cost even though I can source and self import from the States. Decided not to bother. All original parts still in place so if the next owner decides they need A/C then it’s all there and they can make the decision. Interesting to see if that effects value when time to sell arrives.

Why not get a VintageAir kit and replace the whole lot with a modern system? I'll be doing that to my 71 eventually.

Roscobbc

If the vehicle was a big block car I doubt if there would be a debate - while you are deciding you're 'cooking'.....during winter or summer.........