C3 Battery

Anyone got any idea of the biggest/ best battery that I can fit in my 1970 big block c3 .Available in the Uk ? I have the sizes but it’s a bit of a minefield

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
So it seems that not only choosing a name is hard, but choosing a battery is hard too....... :ROFLMAO:

When I replaced the battery in my small block, I just looked around for a biggish one with a good cold cranking power that would fit in the gap, and shoved it in.

Roscobbc

Size is of far less importance than performance (as no doubt many of our lady drivers will agree) and much the same with batteries. The last one I bought a couple of years ago was a Yuasa 76ah 680amp cranking conventional battery. The third conventional battery perhaps bought in over 20 years of ownership. Reason why Yuasa? they have been a major supplier of smaller lead acid batteries for fire and intruder alarms for many years with a good record. Many of of us on here source from Tayna Batteries - keen prices, good stocks, quick delivery. The largest practical size for a C3 and being able to shut the lid is perhaps an 086 size. This is what I'm using with my BB Vette. The battery isn't the limitation - even the starter motor isn't always the limitation.........more likely to be the condition of the OEM sized cables - both earth and power. Taynar also do side post proper American type batteries. Irrespective of what type you use make sure the +tive and -tive terminals are in the right position for your battery leads. Others on here will violently disagree with me.....but don't bother paying perhaps double for one of these fancy Optima type spiral cell batteries that promise extended life at double the cost of a quality conventional sealed lead acid battery (which itself should last between 7 and 10 years).20220621_165622.jpg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I had a few Yuasa batteries in/on a number of US vehicles over the years, no problems at all. Good price, good warranty, good product

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM battery Specs for 1970 Corvette
Refer to the engine size as battery rating different

3750 watts cranking = 312.5 amps

70batt.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Those ole 454’s take a bit more to turn over, especially in mid winter. My friends got a monster of a battery on his 454 1975 caprice convertible. I think it’s been on it for 15+ years. Still going strong