c3 build date.

robin sear

New user
my c3 ,built in 79, title says 80, can i register this as historic, dvla says ,i need to get a manufacture date from the club,who can i contact to do this.

antijam

CCCUK Member
You have presumably checked your VIN to determine the year of manufacture. 1979 'Vettes had VIN's in the range 1Z8789S400001 to 1Z8789S453807. This site shows the last car in this series has the approximate build date September 28th 1979. If your VIN does fall between the above two numbers the build year can be confidently be taken as 1979.
I don't know whether the DVLA will accept the website as adequate evidence and maybe the Club as access to more precise records.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Even if your car is erroneously dated on the V5C as 1st Jan 1980 you can apply for historic class from 1st April 2020
It says: Vehicles built before 1st Jan 1980 are exempt from tax
BUT - it also says "if you do not know when your vehicle was built, but is registered between 1st and 7th January 1980, you do not have to pay vehicle tax.
As far as I'm aware all C3's imported from the USA in the last few years will have a first registration date of 1st Jan
The date on the V5C is immediately under the registration number top left
If your car falls into the above, send your V5C to the DVLA and ask them to change your class to historic

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I am currently going through a spat with DVLA about this issue with regard my 1980 C3. My VINis correct, and if yours is a 1980 model, look at the paint /trim tag on the driver front door pillar. After the word Chevrolet, there will be a letter and a number. The letter is the month of build and the number the date. In my case it is A19 meaning the car was built October 19 1979. Ross did kindly pen an official letter on my behalf, but the DVLA refused to accept it. Currently trying a different route and will keep you posted. One issue we live with, is the fact the apparently all the records of St Louis built cars have been destroyed.

Roscobbc

I am currently going through a spat with DVLA about this issue with regard my 1980 C3. My VINis correct, and if yours is a 1980 model, look at the paint /trim tag on the driver front door pillar. After the word Chevrolet, there will be a letter and a number. The letter is the month of build and the number the date. In my case it is A19 meaning the car was built October 19 1979. Ross did kindly pen an official letter on my behalf, but the DVLA refused to accept it. Currently trying a different route and will keep you posted. One issue we live with, is the fact the apparently all the records of St Louis built cars have been destroyed.
What reason did DVLA give for refusal?

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Briefly they wanted the following
1. An extract from the manufacturer/factory record, or confirmation from the manufacturer on headed notepaper.
2. An extract from Glass’s check book.
3. A British Motor Industry Heritage Trust stamped certified copy of record.

I got the distinct impression that the author was unaware that it was an American car.

I am still pursuing another avenue, but any advice appreciated. I will let you know how I get on.

Roscobbc

Briefly they wanted the following
1. An extract from the manufacturer/factory record, or confirmation from the manufacturer on headed notepaper.
2. An extract from Glass’s check book.
3. A British Motor Industry Heritage Trust stamped certified copy of record.

I got the distinct impression that the author was unaware that it was an American car.

I am still pursuing another avenue, but any advice appreciated. I will let you know how I get on.
Dellb - that is DVLA at their worst - no. 1 will never happen. Can't see GM ever doing this. 2. Never seen this request. 3. It's a vehicle manufactured in America
I did possibly as many as 35 - 40 dating certificates, predominately C3's over a 4 or 5 year period and never seen any of this. You should appeal and ask for who ever dealt with it a DVLA's superior and contest this rejection.
Send me a copy of the original document I emailed you and I'll check through everything once more.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
What about a simple request to the GM Heritage Center for clarification of the date required - They have helped me before on two occasions for different information?

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Tried that, and all I get back is “The records of all St Louis built cars have been destroyed in a fire.”