C3 - Delco Callipers?

Last triumph

Well-known user
I can help feel free to call 01283 219420

Thanks, I've seen the US vendors such as these sell them...

Assuming that ^ plus taxes and exchange rate and some consolidated shipping is the round about price?

Is that about as low as the cost is likely to be for proper Delcos with the correct casting numbers etc? I know Rock Auto sell spurious versions for a fraction.

Emc

Supporting vendor
I don't think they are cast AC Delco, I have the same on the shelf, corvette central will have shipping and taxes to add
corvettl e centraprice l

Last triumph

Well-known user
Understood re shipping and taxes, was just trying to get a feel if that was about as good as it gets from a source cost perspective.

1651524457792.png

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You could always try the other mainstream corvette parts suppliers for a price comparison . There probably won’t be a lot in it tho, as they all monitor each other’s prices.

Emc

Supporting vendor
I also have the best O ring calipers rebulid kits. This is the cheapest way if your calipers have been sleeved which I'm sure they have.

Last triumph

Well-known user
What's interesting is that the price it makes a Wilwood conversion look very tempting - callipers only.

Emc

Supporting vendor
I also have the best O ring calipers rebulid kits. This is the cheapest way if your calipers have been sleeved which I'm sure they have.

Roscobbc

I know quite a few people like the Wilwood calipers.....and will comment that being aluminium they are much lighter and therefore make the car handle better......really? how many of us drive 'on the edge'?. Nothing wrong with stock iron calipers........providing they that they been stainless steel sleeved and the bleed screw threads are good .......and 95% of cars are running these. If you are unlicky enough to but a car that has been laid-up for 30 years it may have original unmodded calipers........99% chance in this case the whole braking system will need total replacement anyway.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’m out and about quite a lot, when I see a corvette out and about in the sunshine it’s usually just cruising along. Same with the Italian “supercars”, about the only cars I ever see flying about are 911’s. That is apart from the young loud exhaust brigade. Then again, we were all young once
Back in the day I would see an old guy in a nice car ( and he probably wasn’t THAT old ) and say to myself “look at that old fart in that car” now, I’m the old fart. 🙁

Last edited:

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
I'm more show than go these days! Mind you with no ABS, Traction Control or Airbags, I wouldn't want to go too mad anyway. Even in my not exactly super powerful 78. LOL 🤣😂

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
So true. Braking systems have advanced so much a fairly modern car can stop on a dime. The olden behind it will hit it up the arse. What was a reasonably quick car back in the day is now a dinosaur in the braking department. Just keep cruising and looking good 😎

Roscobbc

I know people 'rave' about how good stock C3 brakes are........perhaps in their 'day'......but now I just don't see it. Just look at the diameter of front discs used on current mid-range non-performance type cars......most are at least as large, or in many cases larger that C3 discs. OK, so the current cars are a similar weight to our Vettes.....but with modern large 'footprint' tyres, ABS and other handling systems we are at a disadvantage!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I’m out and about quite a lot, when I see a corvette out and about in the sunshine it’s usually just cruising along. Same with the Italian “supercars”, about the only cars I ever see flying about are 911’s. That is apart from the young loud exhaust brigade. Then again, we were all young once
Back in the day I would see an old guy in a nice car ( and he probably wasn’t THAT old ) and say to myself “look at that old fart in that car” now, I’m the old fart. 🙁
How many times did I say that in my younger days !!!! It`s fun being and old fart innit ? :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

So true. Braking systems have advanced so much a fairly modern car can stop on a dime. The olden behind it will hit it up the arse. What was a reasonably quick car back in the day is now a dinosaur in the braking department. Just keep cruising and looking good 😎
Thing is......most people regard ABS braking systems as a 'panacia' for good, efficient braking........perhaps 90% of the time they are - and can/will generally deal with that 'emergency' stop when you simply 'hit' that stop pedal HARD. As we know - if we do that with non ABS systems wheels can lock-up and we'll need to correct any skid etc.
But ABS doesn't always work as you'll like (or more importantly as you'd expect) Icy, oily and greasy roads, loose, shingled and potholed surfaces will all potentially extend expected braking distances and not always prevent you from going in to the 'rough'. Combine ABS with yaw control and other 'active' handling devices and you'll possibly experience the unexpected.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Too many drivers think they are invicible in modern cars with all the toys like traction control , stability control and auto braking to supposedly stop you running up the arse of someone else . The only thing not electronicly controlled is the idiot behind the wheel !

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I must say I really wasn't confident driving my C3 at all when I first got it as it had manual (not powered) brakes. First mod I got was a retro fit power brake system (aka the vac booster and new master cylinder) - it was like chalk and cheese and the brakes are really good now, and it surprised me how quickly such an old car can stop.

But like most people say above - I just cruise around in my C3 and don't really drive it hard at all. Its just the noise and experience I like - I don't feel the need to drive it hard.

My wife's C1 though - we both drive that as hard as possible and try to keep the speed up on it because its so slow and needs to be treated hard to get it going.

*Citroen C1

Roscobbc

I must say I really wasn't confident driving my C3 at all when I first got it as it had manual (not powered) brakes. First mod I got was a retro fit power brake system (aka the vac booster and new master cylinder) - it was like chalk and cheese and the brakes are really good now, and it surprised me how quickly such an old car can stop.

But like most people say above - I just cruise around in my C3 and don't really drive it hard at all. Its just the noise and experience I like - I don't feel the need to drive it hard.

My wife's C1 though - we both drive that as hard as possible and try to keep the speed up on it because its so slow and needs to be treated hard to get it going.

*Citroen C1
Driving a 'slow' car fast - or driving a 'fast' car slow...........that is the quandary.