C3 L82 5.7L Corvette Fuel Problems

stringray78

New user
Hello all

My fathers 1978 C3 Corvette had it's fuel siphoned by a gang of men while he was at work. Since they did this the car will not start. He's obviously put fuel in it and has tried to start it but it won't run. Putting fuel directly into the carb inlets where the air box sits fires the car up but otherwise it won't go.

Is there some sort of prime procedure for this car when its run dry? As we are at a loss right now as to why it won't pick up fuel and go.

Thanks in advance.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The tank is higher than the pump (assuming you’ve still got the mechanical one) so if you loosen the feed line at the pump end you should get fuel through by gravity.

That should be enough to prime the lines if they’re empty although I am surprised they could completely drain the tank.

Did they do any damage?

It maybe they’ve disturbed the pickup in the tank but I’d think that unlikely too.

stringray78

New user
My father took the line off and there was nothing. He did not mention any damage to me, I am yet to see the car in person since the incident but if there were damage he would certainly of mentioned it. They were gypsies apparently so would be well adverse to draining a fuel tank.

Perhaps the pickup is the issue, how could we check this? Also yes hes still using the mechanical fuel pump.

Thanks

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You might be able to see the pick up through the filler.

Have you got anything that can suck on the fuel feed at the pump Either it’ll pull fuel or pull air.

stringray78

New user
He's going to try that next, hes got something to suck the fuel line so we shall see. Thanks for the help.

Will check the fuel sender if we can't get anything from the fuel line.

Alben78

Well-known user
Have you tried filling the float chamber via the small tube which sits at the front of the carb between the two butterflies on the throttle body? This should give enough fuel to run the engine, prime the pump and get a flow through the pipes. Not sure that on a 78 you can see the fuel pickup through the filler. It maybe that as this car has a rubber bladder inside the tank this has somehow been damaged and is blocking the pick up in which case its a tank out job.