C3 muffler query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Many moons ago a c3 owner told me a lot of owners drill a small hole in the lowest edge of the mufflers on their c3’s. Apparently due to the steep angle upwards they are mounted they tend to collect condensation and rust out. Any one heard if this is the case and does anyone drill holes in a perfectly good muffler?
on a similar note , today when I moved my vette out of the garage I noticed a small amount of black watery fluid, on investigation and tasting , I decided it was probably water from the exhaust, but had pushed out of the joint between one of the front pipes and the muffler as there is a bit of black sooty leakage there and would be pretty much where the pool of water was on the garage floor. Which made me think that the drill hole in the muffler may not be such a silly idea. Your thoughts and opinions please 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
As long as you use it for reasonable distances you’ll be fine. If it never gets warm condensation will be an issue.
Cant see the hole doing anything though as it’s usually the internals of the silencer that fail.

Prime example is my Ms’s Peugeot. It’s a 2008 had from new I fitted a new exhaust in 2016 as the original hangers had failed no other issues. Not long after she started a new job that was 2 miles from home. Silencer rusted out within a year.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
As long as you use it for reasonable distances you’ll be fine. If it never gets warm condensation will be an issue.
Cant see the hole doing anything though as it’s usually the internals of the silencer that fail.

Prime example is my Ms’s Peugeot. It’s a 2008 had from new I fitted a new exhaust in 2016 as the original hangers had failed no other issues. Not long after she started a new job that was 2 miles from home. Silencer rusted out within a year.
that will be my problem then, it has not been driven for nearly 3 months whilst being shipped and as it is not registered yet I have only started it let it run for 15 mins each time and then put it away, it must need a good run to get things hot and clear it out . 👍