C4 94-96 wanted!

JTB

Regular user
Looking to buy a 94 - 96 C4.
Must be in good original condition. Not too bothered about auto or manual. Not too fussed about colour (white not my favourite though). As long as its clean and everything works. Lower mileage a bonus but more bothered about condition and history than miles. It'll be going to a good home! Missed an absolute belter of a Polo Green 94 back in October and have only seen one decent one since.
Seen all the usual suspects on ebay, Autotrader, etc that are either horror stories or priced about 5 grand too high then sit for months. There was a nice Collector Edition that got snapped up by a dealer the same day it was advertised then subsequently got another £7k slapped on the price! It's not sold since funnily enough.
Not interested in anything with flashing light stereos, aftermarket wheels, reverse light indicators, "special" paint, etc. Nothing wrong with them - just not for me these days!
Got rid of a very nice Black Rose 93 a few years back and regretted it since. It went to a dealer in Italy where it lost 65,000 miles and gained €12,000 on the price!!
There must be something out there - I'm currently fighting the urge to get one of EMCs nice C3s if nothing comes up!
Cheers!

Last edited:

JTB

Regular user
Still looking! Where have all the nice C4s gone? When I had my last one there seemed to be loads on the market - now it seems to be all C3s, C6s and C7s on the market!!
Might need to join the cool crowd Chuffer!!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Still looking! Where have all the nice C4s gone? When I had my last one there seemed to be loads on the market - now it seems to be all C3s, C6s and C7s on the market!!
You would be very welcome and I am sure you wouldn`t regret owning a car with such iconic styling . :D

Reactions: JTB

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think a lot of the C4’s got neglected and finally junked when they became older and values went down. The C3 on the other hand has probably been one of the most imported US cars over the last twenty odd years, and as such numbers have increased greatly. It’s the classic corvette shape people remember from the past, and compared to the earlier models it’s still affordable. Although the earlier chrome bumper models are sometimes quite pricey now.
C4’s stateside have seen a bottoming out of prices, and they are now rising for good examples. People are now realising how nice a car they were/are.

JTB

Regular user
I think a lot of the C4’s got neglected and finally junked when they became older and values went down. The C3 on the other hand has probably been one of the most imported US cars over the last twenty odd years, and as such numbers have increased greatly. It’s the classic corvette shape people remember from the past, and compared to the earlier models it’s still affordable. Although the earlier chrome bumper models are sometimes quite pricey now.
C4’s stateside have seen a bottoming out of prices, and they are now rising for good examples. People are now realising how nice a car they were/are.
I think you're right - there are definitely a lot of neglected examples out there. The nice ones certainly seem to be in the minority at the moment. I missed a truly exceptional one in October and have only seen a couple of good ones since. Hopefully something will come up soon.....

Z28DUNC

Busy user
I'm back looking for a C4 manual. If I see a auto that suits your needs I'll let you know. A few pop up on Facebook marketplace that don't appear anywhere else.
Like you say everything has gone up horrendously, I don't mind paying a bit more but not 5K more than last year!

Reactions: JTB

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This is something that has been happening to all “classics” and even everyday cars, prices are on the up.
The C4 is not the bargain basement it once was, and good examples are making good money.
Same thing is happening stateside, C4 prices are on the up.

JTB

Regular user
I'm back looking for a C4 manual. If I see a auto that suits your needs I'll let you know. A few pop up on Facebook marketplace that don't appear anywhere else.
Like you say everything has gone up horrendously, I don't mind paying a bit more but not 5K more than last year!
Cheers Dunc!
Have to say - my preference lies with a manual as well though (although auto would be ok)! I'm hoping I've got most bases covered with Facebook Marketplace too.
Saw this one here - Log in to Facebook
This is pretty much my ideal car, however, the shipping and taxes just take it a wee bit much out of my budget.☹️
For what it is in the States though it seems reasonably priced, especially if a wee haggle could be had..... Maybe up your street....

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Looking to buy a 94 - 96 C4.
Must be in good original condition. Not too bothered about auto or manual. Not too fussed about colour (white not my favourite though). As long as its clean and everything works. Lower mileage a bonus but more bothered about condition and history than miles. It'll be going to a good home! Missed an absolute belter of a Polo Green 94 back in October and have only seen one decent one since.
Seen all the usual suspects on ebay, Autotrader, etc that are either horror stories or priced about 5 grand too high then sit for months. There was a nice Collector Edition that got snapped up by a dealer the same day it was advertised then subsequently got another £7k slapped on the price! It's not sold since funnily enough.
Not interested in anything with flashing light stereos, aftermarket wheels, reverse light indicators, "special" paint, etc. Nothing wrong with them - just not for me these days!
Got rid of a very nice Black Rose 93 a few years back and regretted it since. It went to a dealer in Italy where it lost 65,000 miles and gained €12,000 on the price!!
There must be something out there - I'm currently fighting the urge to get one of EMCs nice C3s if nothing comes up!
Cheers!

If looking at 94-96 C4s a few things to consider
Here in the USA the Federal EPA required tougher SMOG rules and all vehicles by 1996 had to been converted from OBD-I to OBD-II

This meant then GM had to move from the older ECM controller as it used an E-prom where the engine and A4 tranny Calibrations existed
and would be too small for what was needed for a larger calibration (tune) so GM designed a new engine controller (PCM) that used flash memory,
that could maintain much larger tunes

In 1994 GM used the 1994 Corvette as a testpig for the OBD-II mandates to assure 1996 GM vehicles complied to OBDII

Being the first year of the PCM though, the 94 C4 was limited in the tunes but got better and better for 95 &96 and are much easier for someone
like me that does custom tuning (even via emails) to dial in changes such as if a CAM was added, higher engine compression, larger fuel injectors, and if changes for the A4 tune

1989 ( I had a new one) was the first year for the MN6 manual tranny and also the FX3 suspension option with electronic shocks adjustments
Having a Z51 model and MN6 allowed for more changes to suspension setups
But those also being new design, it was not until 1995 that the FX3 design was better

The MN6 manual by ZF was a rock crusher, handled up to 450 ft/lbs of torque and had a lower rear end ratio
where A4 auto tranny really had no balls and came with a real slow ass high rear end gear ratio

If interested, I could post GM engineering PDF documents for like 1984 and 1986 here on forum, and you could closer see what the differences
were.

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Cheers Dunc!
Have to say - my preference lies with a manual as well though (although auto would be ok)! I'm hoping I've got most bases covered with Facebook Marketplace too.
Saw this one here - Log in to Facebook
This is pretty much my ideal car, however, the shipping and taxes just take it a wee bit much out of my budget.☹️
For what it is in the States though it seems reasonably priced, especially if a wee haggle could be had..... Maybe up your street....
Yeah that would be out of my budget too once shipped and iva'd etc. Plus the odd jobs to do to it as well. I kick myself that I missed out on a 96 collectors edition over 3 years ago when moving house but thats life!

Z28DUNC

Busy user
If looking at 94-96 C4s a few things to consider
Here in the USA the Federal EPA required tougher SMOG rules and all vehicles by 1996 had to been converted from OBD-I to OBD-II

This meant then GM had to move from the older ECM controller as it used an E-prom where the engine and A4 tranny Calibrations existed
and would be too small for what was needed for a larger calibration (tune) so GM designed a new engine controller (PCM) that used flash memory,
that could maintain much larger tunes

In 1994 GM used the 1994 Corvette as a testpig for the OBD-II mandates to assure 1996 GM vehicles complied to OBDII

Being the first year of the PCM though, the 94 C4 was limited in the tunes but got better and better for 95 &96 and are much easier for someone
like me that does custom tuning (even via emails) to dial in changes such as if a CAM was added, higher engine compression, larger fuel injectors, and if changes for the A4 tune

1989 ( I had a new one) was the first year for the MN6 manual tranny and also the FX3 suspension option with electronic shocks adjustments
Having a Z51 model and MN6 allowed for more changes to suspension setups
But those also being new design, it was not until 1995 that the FX3 design was better

The MN6 manual by ZF was a rock crusher, handled up to 450 ft/lbs of torque and had a lower rear end ratio
where A4 auto tranny really had no balls and came with a real slow ass high rear end gear ratio

If interested, I could post GM engineering PDF documents for like 1984 and 1986 here on forum, and you could closer see what the differences
were.
I think this time round I'm a bit less fussy about the year. When I was originally looking I really wanted the LT4 so a 96 car but now I'd probably go for anything with the 6 speed in it.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yeah that would be out of my budget too once shipped and iva'd etc. Plus the odd jobs to do to it as well. I kick myself that I missed out on a 96 collectors edition over 3 years ago when moving house but thats life!
You wouldn’t need a IVA on a 1996 car, just a MOT.