C5 - Driving without the front spoiler?

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Hi all, well it was dark, raining and somehow my front air spoiler/dam had an argument with a curb and the centre piece is now hanging down from the side that got whacked. Will it be OK to remove it and do some slow local driving whilst I get whatever parts I need to fix it? I am thinking light on the throttle say gear change at 2000-3000 and max speed 70mph with ambient temp no more than 70F.

N

Norm

I wouldn't worry about it, won't hurt anything, more cosmetic than functional. Drive like you normally drive, I've had two C5's with and without the front spoiler, saw no difference in performance.

Now if you're talking about the air diversion directional pieces of rubber behind the spoiler, yes have them replaced. They do serve a purpose for cooling, but still wouldn't worry about driving style other than normal.

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Thanks for the comments Norm, certainly make me feel relaxed about it. Although having taken a closer look I can see that the damage is more extensive in that the radiator support frame has been bent backwards and the brake cooler duct has been pushed in a bit. So just in the process of removing the brake duct as it is fouling the wheel when steering to the right so that I can get the car to my garage guy and get it up on the lift for a full inspection and decide the best route forward, which will really centre I think on whether they can bend the frame back.