C5 Starting Problem - no dashboard lights plus engine dies after 2 secs...

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
As it says in the title, the first time I put the key in the ignition and turn it the dials spin but nothing lights up and although the car starts it dies after a second or two. Subsequently, it starts and runs normally.

I'm pretty sure it's a faulty ignition switch and it needs stripping and fettling - as per instructions on the US Corvette forums (hope that's all) but I'll do it and update here if successful... I guess ultimately it might need replacing...

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you load tested the battery ?
Via the DIC what it says the voltage is ?

Check via the DIC for any DTCs ?

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Voltage is ok as the battery is new, but I haven't read any codes yet as I'm actually away for the weekend. Will do this week when (if) I get home...

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Voltage could be good
But battery could have a bad cell so cannot handle the AMP draw on startup, so needs to be load tested
If you do not have one, I assume UK auto parts stores have one to do the test while battery is still connected

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Pulled out the ignition switch today and - apart from my dashboard looking like a war zone - the problem looks to be with corroded contacts inside the switch, as I suspected. There are a couple of good YouTube videos on this which really helped. Only tools needed are a T15 torx driver, a small flat screwdriver and a 10mm socket.
I'll update this once I've cleaned up the contacts and put everything back together. Fingers crossed 🤞

IMG_20231024_113641_717.jpgIMG_20231024_113808_449.jpgIMG_20231024_115104_499.jpg
See photos....

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Thats the beauty of these cars, very easy on the whole to take apart and a video for everything! Hope you get it sorted.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for actually updating the thread, nothing worse than finding thread after thread of diagnoses but no outcomes!

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for actually updating the thread, nothing worse than finding thread after thread of diagnoses but no outcomes!
I figured it might be useful reference for other C5 owners who will doubtless face the same problem as they all get older (cars not necessarily owners!). 🙂