C5 windshield replacement

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Hi guys, my 2001 C5 just failed the MOT with a cracked windshield and so I need to replace it. I need a guy who knows Corvette windshields and is careful; the strip of aluminium that runs along the top and down the sides of the windshield is not available (so I am told) and the rubber strip seems to be around 600$ +vat ☹ ☹. So I need them transferred to the new windshield. Are there any guys out there that can be trusted? Right now I see this as an insurance claim.

I live on the South Coast so someone from John O' Groats would not be ideal, but then beggars cannot be choosers

Cheers Pete

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Hi Team, at least in the UK not really true. I know because my HUD C5 has been driving around with a non-HUD screen for the past 15 years. An important point is cost. 15 years ago there was a srious difference in price andf talking it through with Peter at Americsn glass who fitted a new windscreen for me, we decided to go with a non HUD screen. The days the price difference has lowered SIGNIFICANTLY and I think now the question is why would you not fit a HUD screen.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here in the USA at least from car insurance by law the vehicle windows/windshield has to be replaced with what it came with from the nameplate new specs were to prevent non-spec glass being used for safety reasons

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Just to post and update. Back end of November, Corvette Rubber Inc. finally announced that the Windshield weatherstrip was available. Roundabout Xmas time National Windscreens turned up yee haa. Oh that windscreen does not look like... no the label says for a Chrysler whatever. Where is the weatherstrip? Oh I see, so you did not order that, OK that's good considering I emailed you all the contact details. So the folloing day I tolde somebody somewhere in National Windscreens to f** off and not to darken my door again and i was not paying them any money for anything. Fitting now with Autoglass who will hopefully display some elements of professionalism

Yellowshark

Well-known user
Here in the USA at least from car insurance by law the vehicle windows/windshield has to be replaced with what it came with from the nameplate new specs were to prevent non-spec glass being used for safety reasons
Same here in theory. 15 years ago the C5 did not have the windscreen insured, hence why I went with the cheaper pricing on the non HUD glass. This time around it is insured and yes the insurers seem to insist on fitting OEM. I have stressed to them though that if a HUD screen is not available then a non HUD will work OK