C7 instrument panel blackout - alternator?

dangtfc

CCCUK Member
I'm having a bit of trouble with my C7. During normal operation the instrument panel will flicker/black out repeatedly. First the needles drop to zero, then the screen blacks out. Usually comes back on within a second or two, but it can repeat a few times. Operation of the car is otherwise unaffected.

May be unrelated, but I also noticed that my magnetic phone charger, which is mounted on the passenger side, will give intermittent charge to the phone. Sometimes its 100% charging and others it will charge on and off repeatedly.

At first I thought battery but I'm wondering if the alternator is dodgy. Haven't got my meter on it yet but wonder if anyone has encountered the same issue?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Determine if the problem also happens when key on, engine off
If so, then not the ALT being a problem
Look for a loose ground
Using an OBD-II scanner see if there is any DTCs tripped and if so what are they ?

Someone looking at the dash gauges, move the battery wires and connectors and see if the problem
comes and goes or when at idle watch the battery voltage gauge and see reading stays around 14.x volts and is steady

Also, there was a GM TSB as to this :

This bulletin applies to all C7 Corvette vehicles.
While the vehicle may be in your shop for any number of reasons, if DTC B1517 is found set in any module, or even multiple modules,
first, inspect the battery cable connections.

In many cases, the small black wire that connects to the larger battery negative cable may be loose or damaged.

If the vehicle history is reviewed, or if the customer is questioned, it will usually be found that a battery was recently replaced.
This may have been done by a technician (or owner) who was unfamiliar with the vehicle.

The small black wire may be loose, rotated or pulled out of the terminal.
Any loose connection or damage to this circuit may cause a B1517, especially with symptom 5A.

C7negbatterywire.jpg