C7 Z51 Front Rotor Cooling Rings (For Track Days)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Looked at a used UK spec 2014 car 3 years ago and it had these in the trunk. Look a bit fiddly to fit? Anyone on here who has/used them/came with the car? Not intending to track day my car, but just interested if anyone else is aware of them?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Those came with the Z06 and ZR1 models as GM slates only those C7s for racing
Did NOT come with the other models
Never heard of any issues in people using them on track

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM has always stated that the base models are not warrantied for tracking
but you could look at what the options were for 2014 and see if the track brake cooling rings existed for base models
Thinking back to 2014, The rings and ducts came with Z51 option
But in 2017 I think GM went back to 1 piece rotor, so only the cooling ducts came with the car and had to be installed
for racing only

c.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
But in 2017 I think GM went back to 1 piece rotor, so only the cooling ducts came with the car and had to be installed
for racing only
Looks like you are right about the new rotors for 2017 negating the need for the cooling rings:
Suspect that a/my Z51 spec car has the cooling ducts factory installed as part of the Z51 option? Your photo above shows them as an "Accessory." Probably these to retro-fit to a non-Z51 ("base model") car?

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Yes, I found about cooling rings on page 165 of an owner manual

brakec.jpg

I may be wrong about years if C7 and C8, but I know GM states for C8s that the only time the ducts be installed is on track
because on streets the ducts might be too low and get ripped out hitting something on the road, even more so if the car was lowered
You would have to check your ride height before installed, all the time
Though if the C7 ones are like the C8s they are 2 pieces and people install the top part and leave that for street and trace and for track then install the lower piece

Stingray

CCCUK Member
My Z51 (2015) has these amazingly useful rings. All you have to do is work out where to stow your wheel nut wrench and trolley jack....

maudyz28

Regular user
previous owner did a bit of track and didn't install the ring (but had them) - well he warped practically brand new disks, so I replaced them what I bought the car with the 1 piece. If you look at the disks you can see without the rings the ducts just push air right through the hub, not the fins and through the disk