C8 Orange Engine Warning Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
For a car like a modern Corvette the easiest way to get a suitable code reader is to buy one that comes with the "GM enhanced" code reading capability already included. A basic (cheapest) code reader won't tell you anything except generic OBD stuff so won't cover anything worthwhile in your car.

Codes set and clear in various ways and with differing levels of permanence. GM have an approach where depending why the code got set it might clear automatically after a few problem-free drive cycles. If you google for "GM OBD drive cycle" you'll find what's involved. There's some info' about it on this link,

The yellow light that illuminates is called EML or Engine Management Light (same as CEL Check Engine Light) but these days it reacts to a lot more things than just "engine". On a modern Vette there will be all sorts of transmission and diff parameters being monitored as well as lots of other stuff. This is where the "GM enhanced" aspect of code reading becomes significant.

On a modern car like yours I'd want the codes read p.d.q. if only for peace of mind. If you're not close to Ian Allan the chances are that any competent independent garage will have comprehensive code reading capability, although they're likely to charge you c.£80 for the privilege. They will tell you the numbers of the codes and probably what the codes mean. If they only give you the code number then you can google it to find out what it means. They may also be able to clear a code that's set (i.e. switch off the yellow EML) although you should only do that if it looks like something trivial. You don't want to mask a genuine problem or delete stuff that a technician will eventually need to see. Especially if under warranty.

OBD socket is under the dash just by the driver's left knee in a typical LHD Corvette. It's presumably by right knee in an RHD car but I don't know for sure.

TheEscapist

Busy user
For a car like a modern Corvette the easiest way to get a suitable code reader is to buy one that comes with the "GM enhanced" code reading capability already included. A basic (cheapest) code reader won't tell you anything except generic OBD stuff so won't cover anything worthwhile in your car.

Codes set and clear in various ways and with differing levels of permanence. GM have an approach where depending why the code got set it might clear automatically after a few problem-free drive cycles. If you google for "GM OBD drive cycle" you'll find what's involved. There's some info' about it on this link,

The yellow light that illuminates is called EML or Engine Management Light (same as CEL Check Engine Light) but these days it reacts to a lot more things than just "engine". On a modern Vette there will be all sorts of transmission and diff parameters being monitored as well as lots of other stuff. This is where the "GM enhanced" aspect of code reading becomes significant.

On a modern car like yours I'd want the codes read p.d.q. if only for peace of mind. If you're not close to Ian Allan the chances are that any competent independent garage will have comprehensive code reading capability, although they're likely to charge you c.£80 for the privilege. They will tell you the numbers of the codes and probably what the codes mean. If they only give you the code number then you can google it to find out what it means. They may also be able to clear a code that's set (i.e. switch off the yellow EML) although you should only do that if it looks like something trivial. You don't want to mask a genuine problem or delete stuff that a technician will eventually need to see. Especially if under warranty.

OBD socket is under the dash just by the driver's left knee in a typical LHD Corvette. It's presumably by right knee in an RHD car but I don't know for sure.
Thanks for all the really helpful advice.

I plugged in the OBD reader I bought today and had a P0700 code. That was the only one and happened only once. Hasn’t recurred in the last two short drives. Google says it’s to do woth the DCT gear selection? Hopefully not something that will fail and just needs adjusting ?

i Just read but did not clear the code. I attach the screen and a host of other status screens.

i have emailed ian Allen to ask their advice As I’m driving 600 miles to them back from France.

Attachments

• IMG_7684.jpeg
    IMG_7684.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7693.jpeg
    IMG_7693.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7692.jpeg
    IMG_7692.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7691.jpeg
    IMG_7691.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7688.jpeg
    IMG_7688.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7686.jpeg
    IMG_7686.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7685.jpeg
    IMG_7685.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 7

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
P0700 was reported back in June 2022
A GM TSB was sent out : but no fix at that time
Post your VIN # and I can check GM's database as if there was a software update to fix this
I do not know if your scanner can also connect to the TCM and see what other codes the DCT may have set
Until then, if P0700 trips again do the process below to do a temp override

Reason in my other post mentioned DCT fluid changed as GM found the DCT is dirty inside when being made and also
found the dual clutches shed so more dirt
Also why I mentioned Onstar and OTA, if not than a dealer would have to check GM and do ALL TSB updates

2020-2022 Corvette models may have a Service Transmission message on the Driver Information Center (DIC), an illuminated Check Engine MIL and a squealing sound immediately after starting the engine. DTC P0700 (Transmission Control Module Requested Malfunction Indicator Lamp Illumination) may be stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) and DTC P0606 (Control Module Processor Performance) or P0607 (Control Module Performance) may be stored in history in the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Other P codes may also be set.
This condition will be present on vehicle start up only and not when the vehicle is in motion.
The DIC transmission message and possible squealing sound are default actions of the DTC as the TCM is in a defaulted state and may not be controlling line pressure, resulting in the transmission operating a maximum line pressure.

DTC P0700 is an informational DTC. Do not replace the control module if DTC P0700 is set.

If DTC P0606 or P0607 is set as a current DTC in the TCM, without other DTCs set, follow the published diagnostics in the appropriate Service Information.
The condition should be resolved by allowing the vehicle to go through a complete sleep cycle (i.e., 15 minutes).

Explain to customers that they can complete this process if they experience the condition again before a correction is available.

If DTC P0606 or P0607 is set as a history DTC in the TCM with other P codes (e.g., P07E5 or P07E6), the other codes are a byproduct of the controller state.
Do not replace the TCM for P0606/P0607 when other P codes are present or when DTCs P0606/P0607 are in history.

If DTCs P0606/P0607 are in history, clear the codes and test drive the vehicle to make sure the DTCs do not return.
If the DTCs do not set again, return the vehicle to the customer.

Permanent repair information will be released when available.

For more information, refer to #PIP5852

TheEscapist

Busy user
P0700 was reported back in June 2022
A GM TSB was sent out : but no fix at that time
Post your VIN # and I can check GM's database as if there was a software update to fix this
I do not know if your scanner can also connect to the TCM and see what other codes the DCT may have set
Until then, if P0700 trips again do the process below to do a temp override

Reason in my other post mentioned DCT fluid changed as GM found the DCT is dirty inside when being made and also
found the dual clutches shed so more dirt
Also why I mentioned Onstar and OTA, if not than a dealer would have to check GM and do ALL TSB updates

2020-2022 Corvette models may have a Service Transmission message on the Driver Information Center (DIC), an illuminated Check Engine MIL and a squealing sound immediately after starting the engine. DTC P0700 (Transmission Control Module Requested Malfunction Indicator Lamp Illumination) may be stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) and DTC P0606 (Control Module Processor Performance) or P0607 (Control Module Performance) may be stored in history in the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Other P codes may also be set.
This condition will be present on vehicle start up only and not when the vehicle is in motion.
The DIC transmission message and possible squealing sound are default actions of the DTC as the TCM is in a defaulted state and may not be controlling line pressure, resulting in the transmission operating a maximum line pressure.

DTC P0700 is an informational DTC. Do not replace the control module if DTC P0700 is set.

If DTC P0606 or P0607 is set as a current DTC in the TCM, without other DTCs set, follow the published diagnostics in the appropriate Service Information.
The condition should be resolved by allowing the vehicle to go through a complete sleep cycle (i.e., 15 minutes).

Explain to customers that they can complete this process if they experience the condition again before a correction is available.

If DTC P0606 or P0607 is set as a history DTC in the TCM with other P codes (e.g., P07E5 or P07E6), the other codes are a byproduct of the controller state.
Do not replace the TCM for P0606/P0607 when other P codes are present or when DTCs P0606/P0607 are in history.

If DTCs P0606/P0607 are in history, clear the codes and test drive the vehicle to make sure the DTCs do not return.
If the DTCs do not set again, return the vehicle to the customer.

Permanent repair information will be released when available.

For more information, refer to #PIP5852
Thanks. very helpful. my VIN is in one of the photos above bjt here it is again. Do I conclude from that I can drive the vehicle and if it occurs again, stop and turn car off for 15 mins for it to reset?

Attachments

• IMG_1173.png
    IMG_1173.png
    895.8 KB · Views: 3

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The system does not show the TSBs for your C8, I assume that is because the C8 is in the UK so not in the USA database other than what
is listed below

You need to print out the TSB I posted above and notice it says : For more information, refer to #PIP5852
and show to your dealer can look this up and then hook C8 up and have all controllers' software updated to include any TSBs and if not having been done would install any updates your C8 has not done

Yes, the workaround is C8 off for at east 15 minutes

As I mentioned, you need to see if your scanner can connect to the TCM rather than the PCM and see what DTCs are stored there
P0700 means

The screen prints you posted came from a "Freeze Frame" and that means at the moment of time the DTC tripped the PCM stored information what engine conditions were

The OBD-II scanner error code P0700 problem is a generic code that applies to vehicles equipped with OBD-II. It refers to the transmission control module (TCM) in the automatic transmission. The P0700 code is informational. The code points to a general fault, not a direct fault. To correctly identify the problem, you will need to have a scan tool that communicates with the TCM to determine the problem in the transmission.

When the P0700 code is present, the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated. You may be seeing poor gas mileage or have transmission shifting problems. The engine could stall or run poorly. When hooked up to the scan tools, there will most likely be other codes present because the P0700 code is generally not alone. Diagnosing the specific problem for a particular model will rely on tracing through the possibilities.

What Causes P0700?

What does the code P0700 mean? It is often seen with shift solenoid issues or other transmission codes. The most likely reason the code appears is that the TCM detects a problem in the transmission.
  • A faulty TCM
  • Shorts in the wiring
  • Transmission issues
  • Defective shift solenoids
  • Defective engine coolant sensor
  • Dirty transmission fluid or low levels

Potential Resolutions for P0700

The P0700 code indicates a problem with the transmission. It should not be ignored, because there can be serious drivability problems now and in the future. The technician should check for all codes present to accurately diagnose the problem. Possible resolutions include:
  • TCM replacement
  • Replacing faulty wiring
  • Valve body replacement
  • Shift solenoid repair or replacement
  • Replace transmission fluid

The P0700 code can also be seen if the fluid is low or the transmission is failing. If the TCM does not communicate with a TCM compatible scan tool, the TCM may be faulty and need to be replaced. However, it is rare that the TCM is faulty. It’s most likely something within the transmission or electrical system.
Additional Comments on P0700

How do I fix trouble code P0700? When you’re diagnosing P0700, you’ll need to look at the freeze frame data to see what occurred when the check engine light was set. It could be a slipping converter clutch that is causing the code. Monitor the Slip Speed, Lockup Duty Cycle and Output Shaft Speed for irregularities.

One thing to try when fixing the P0700 code is to clear the code and take it on a road test. Before clearing out the data, record all present codes and any data from the scan tests. After the second road test, look for the codes that appear. If the codes don’t return, it could have been a glitch, just an odd sensor reading or sticky solenoid. If the codes do return, you should inspect the transmission with the oil pan removed.

A failing transmission can cause the P0700 code. Mechanical wear causes excessive metal buildup in the transmission, which means that the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Metal flakes in the transmission fluid can also result in a P0700 code. Flakes appear when the transmission is failing and get clogged in the shift solenoids.

The P0700 is often underdiagnosed, by assuming that if the code doesn’t come back it is repaired. However, it can also be over-diagnosed when extensive repairs are recommended before determining what is really at fault. Look for all the codes and data associated with the P0700 code before making expensive repairs. Sometimes, it is the transmission fluid level or a wire that needs to be replaced. Of course, it could also be that the transmission is failing and needs to be repaired.

Vehicle Specifications​

year2023makeChevrolet
modelCorvettetrimExport
styletypeConvertible
sizecategoryCompact Car
made_inUnited Statesmade_in_cityBOWLING GREEN
doors2-Doorfuel_typeGasoline
fuel_capacitycity_mileage
highway_mileageengine6.2-L V-8
engine_size6.2engine_size_units
engine_cylinders8transmission8-Speed Automatic
transmission_typeAutomatictransmission_speeds8-Speed
drivetrainRear-Wheel Driveanti_brake_systemStandard

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
TSB PIP5852 was written before GM did a fix for this DCT issue
I attached below a GM PDF that you could save, printout and give to your dealer
but again, have them do ALL controller software updates
and ask dealer if they have in place to allow customers to do Over The Air (OTA) software updates via customers C8s

OTA function is built into the C8 where owners via wireless can even do the OTAs from their home

Attachments

• MC-10216360-9999.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 2

TheEscapist

Busy user
TSB PIP5852 was written before GM did a fix for this DCT issue
I attached below a GM PDF that you could save, printout and give to your dealer
but again, have them do ALL controller software updates
and ask dealer if they have in place to allow customers to do Over The Air (OTA) software updates via customers C8s

OTA function is built into the C8 where owners via wireless can even do the OTAs from their home
Thanks. The car seems to look for an update, says none available but then none have been udpated since build in Mar 2022! Maybe UK cars don't get that feature?

Attachments

• IMG_7702.jpg
    IMG_7702.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 4

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That is why you need to ask your dealer if OTA system was installed at the dealer to allow customers to set their C8
to auto or manual OTAs

So there you have it you say last OTAs done in March 2022 when GM did not post the TSB until June and assume
a software fix was found and what date that was so clearly due to the fact how many TSBs the C8s have you need to
have all up newer than March 2022 done to get u to present software version levels

Also, due to the amount of dirt and clutches shedding is when the DCT fluid was flushed out and external filter replaced
and I recall back in 2022 GM was telling C8 owners to do this early on
Being you bought this used ?
If so, did the GM warranty get transferred to you and have the dealer do the flushing as here in the USA fricking dealers are
charging like $400-500 just to flush fluid and new external filter beyond the 1 free flush and filter

Again you need to see if the scanner you just bought allows to connect to the TCM as any DCT DTCs are stored in it
and all you know now is the (P)owertrain P0700 DTC and TCM DTCs could also point to other issues in DCT

Built into OnStar allows any DTCs to be sent to GM, and it sends back and informs the owner what the DTCs are and what they mean

Sadly in the USA many C8s with DCT issues GM had to replace the DCT :(

But hopefully all yours need is the DCT fluid flushed and new external filter as the dirt is screwing up, the shift solenoids

Also, if doing any racing, GM wanted 2 extra quarts of fluid to added and then can leave it in

DunkyKeith

CCCUK Member
Only light I have had was for the Gas Particulate Filter needing to refresh itself. The light came on, was diagnosed using my code reader and replenished by driving 30 mins, keeping the revs over 2k. The GPFs will get clogged and regen all the time and you wont even know. Sometimes they don't get a chance to regen (mine was in a queue at Tatton Park) and will throw the Orange Check Engine Light (CEL). Be more worried if the CEL is flashing. Getting the code reader is very handy. Initially I got some advice from Parts USA.

TheEscapist

Busy user
Can someone in the UK please confirm they see getting over the air updates on their vehicles? It’s important to know given my car seems to not have had any since March 2022.
There is an “about” screen on the main infix screens which lists them. I’d like to be reassured the feature is enabled.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You need to know for sure that OTA process even exists in the UK
Call whoever sold you the C8 in the UK or contact
General Motors IT Services in Ireland
I maybe wrong, but I thought I read OTAs could be done via OnStar or
you have a Wi-Fi network at home that is connected to the internet and set that up with the C8
If so, if signal strength is an issue than need a router extender in the garage

There is 2 setting for OTA you select
1 is for automatic updates or
set to manual mode, where you have selected the OTA process to begin, no OTA will ever be done until
you select the process to begin

I say a must is having a battery tender attached so that long OTA sessions do not drain the battery too low
and cause a half complete software shutting down mid the downloads or uploads into the controllers

If setting for auto mode, then if Wi-Fi signal is weak, your not there and transfer of software could fail if battery is also low.

At the least if no OTA you really need to get your C8 up to date of all outstanding TSBs your C8 does not have as there
is a crapload of new ones since your early 2023 updates by a local dealer or who sold you the C8

Go to GM OTA website here

GM OTA

Down that page, click on "contact" and ask them about OTA process for the UK

Last edited:

TheEscapist

Busy user
You need to know for sure that OTA process even exists in the UK
Call whoever sold you the C8 in the UK or contact
General Motors IT Services in Ireland
I maybe wrong, but I thought I read OTAs could be done via OnStar or
you have a Wi-Fi network at home that is connected to the internet and set that up with the C8
If so, if signal strength is an issue than need a router extender in the garage

There is 2 setting for OTA you select
1 is for automatic updates or
set to manual mode, where you have selected the OTA process to begin, no OTA will ever be done until
you select the process to begin

I say a must is having a battery tender attached so that long OTA sessions do not drain the battery too low
and cause a half complete software shutting down mid the downloads or uploads into the controllers

If setting for auto mode, then if Wi-Fi signal is weak, your not there and transfer of software could fail if battery is also low.

At the least if no OTA you really need to get your C8 up to date of all outstanding TSBs your C8 does not have as there
is a crapload of new ones since your early 2023 updates by a local dealer or who sold you the C8

Go to GM OTA website here

GM OTA

Down that page, click on "contact" and ask them about OTA process for the UK
There is no app for the UK and no Onstar as far as I know.
I have plenty of WiFi in the garage.
I’m pretty sure then that there are no updates supported but waiting to hear from any other UK users.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Can someone in the UK please confirm they see getting over the air updates on their vehicles? It’s important to know given my car seems to not have had any since March 2022.
There is an “about” screen on the main infix screens which lists them. I’d like to be reassured the feature is enabled.
How can your car have not had any since March 2022? Its a "2023" car per you (that you have owned for a month)? When was it last at Ian Allan or Parts USA, if at all, since new? They would have "plugged it in" then for any software updates? See the below earlier thread:
I don't have a C8, but know of 3 guys in Nottingham who do from Ian Allan. When I saw the above thread I asked "Ade" up there if they can do "OTA" updates? The answer was No.

You have a P0700 code that hopefully is is just a "rogue" code that needs clearing/resetting, but could indicate a transmission fault. You are talking Ian Allan, what are they telling you to do? OK to drive it home 600 miles as is/Its not a car included in the above recall that needs a new/replacement transmission?

Last edited:

TheEscapist

Busy user
How can your car have not had any since March 2022? Its a "2023" car (that you have owned for a month)? When was it last at Ian Allan or Parts USA, if at all, since new? They would have "plugged it in" then for any software updates? See the below earlier thread:
I don't have a C8, but know of 3 guys in Nottingham who do from Ian Allan. When I saw the above thread I asked "Ade" up there if they can do "OTA" updates? The answer was No.

You have a P0700 code that hopefully is is just a "rogue" code that needs clearing/resetting, but could indicate a transmission fault. You are talking Ian Allan, what are they telling you to do? OK to drive it home 600 miles as is/Its not a car included in the above recall that needs a new/replacement transmission?
You raise some very good points. In turn:

the car was manufactured 2022. It was registered t9 the first owner June 2023. There is a very long delay getting cars into the U.K. it seems.
the last owner only did 1,200 miles in the car so no servicing..
Ian Allen supplied the car and I’ve spoken to nearly everyone there now. The senior technician says up me whether I drive back or go to a dealer in France, or call the recovery, It’s unfortunate the warning light has come on while I’m on holiday in France but the real issue here is that the car has only done 2,300 miles and is less than a year old so should not be causing so much hassle. I expect a £100k car to work. Also the warning light is off now, so who knows but it all sounds like buying a JLR product. Look nice, but…. Been there. Never again.

OTA updates are essential for any car these days and the fact they are not available in the UK (Europe maybe not either) is really poor on GM and created situations like this. I don’t know if the car really has had no updates since March 2022 or the lack of OTA just says that. The car even Says it has last checked today and none available so clearly it’s just has the need overridden.

so I can just drive back and hope it doesn’t break down or get the recovery to take it to the nearest dealer (2.5 hours away) assumimg They want to even deal with a U.K. car. I’ve had many many cars down here in France for holidays and Neve this hassle Which makes me feel ma7ne the car is too delicate for my needs and suits someone prospered for many dealer visits and lives close to the dealership.

i will speak to Ian Allen again tomorrow and have a longer chat. I’ve already asked that they at least flush the DCT and clean the filter to try to avoid any further issues but if I don’t feel comfortable and really supported I’ll have to regrettably sell it while it slow miles t9 Seine not in my position and buy Something more reliable and importantly, supported properly in the U.K. and EU.

TheEscapist

Busy user
How can your car have not had any since March 2022? Its a "2023" car per you (that you have owned for a month)? When was it last at Ian Allan or Parts USA, if at all, since new? They would have "plugged it in" then for any software updates? See the below earlier thread:

Sorry, forgot. They say it’s not included in the recall and has no recalls outstanding.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Hey, as I said previously and as ZR1 has said these yellow lights can be pretty trivial. If the light's gone off of it's own accord there's not much to fret about - you've done some drive cycles and whatever the glitch was it hasn't recurred. Take it easy, continue using the car and see what happens.

Welcome to the digital world!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
the car was manufactured 2022. It was registered t9 the first owner June 2023.
Wow that does surprise me! The guys in Notts have purchased numerous UK C8s, C7s and Camaros from them. I bought my C7 from them. Sorry you are having this experience/frustrating to say the least, especially being 600 miles away! Personally I'd play safety first. You should have a pan European Warranty on it. Phone that nearest dealer and ask what they can do for you? Them to collect it at their/GMs warranty cost?

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I’ll have to regrettably sell it while it slow miles t9 Seine not in my position and buy Something more reliable and importantly, supported properly in the U.K. and EU.
Don't panic! There are worry stories around every make of car these days. Corvettes are pretty bomb proof and Ian Allan have been in the game for quite a few years. Their UK operation is way better than the nonsense some of us went through between 1998 and about 2015 with changes of UK official dealers, problems getting cars at all and so forth. My first Vette, a 1999 C5 was ordered from an official dealer in London who'd lost the franchise by the time the car was delivered! Later I ordered a C7 from the official dealer in Manchester that never arrived. I eventually imported a car from USA tyo get the new 8-speed auto transmission and even these have their foibles.

Nobody in UK buys a Vette by accident and it's worth sticking with the project once you're on board. The newer cars are less well understood and you just have to roll with the program. The club offers a good knowledge base as time passes and ZR1 knows a lot about the modern cars even if he doesn't exactly express himself concisely!

Now let me tell you about my C5. That's the one where the steering column lock failed at Le Mans 24hrs race and it took the AA three weeks to recover the car back to the then UK main dealer in Reading, who struggled to fix it....

Stingray

CCCUK Member
P.S. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Does the car drive OK? If that light had never come on is there anything you'd be worried about?
Sometimes these digital things are too clever for their own good.
EML is sometimes called "the worry light". Try not to let it become the panic light.

TheEscapist

Busy user
Hey, as I said previously and as ZR1 has said these yellow lights can be pretty trivial. If the light's gone off of it's own accord there's not much to fret about - you've done some drive cycles and whatever the glitch was it hasn't recurred. Take it easy, continue using the car and see what happens.

Welcome to the digital world!
Yes I hope so and I don’t want to be overly negative as It’s a fantastic car to look at and drive. Ticks all the boxes for me as has cooled seats for thé hotter weather and the sears were even super comfortable for me after 12 hours in them.

i just have to be sure I’m being supported as I don’t want to get stranded! The lack of OTA bothers me But if Ian Allen flush and clean the DCT, it will make me more reassured I’ll get more stress free motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.