C8 Z06 with Z07 - Owners gets it Weighed

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Owner put his on a truck scale

C8 Z06 with Z07 :
3LZ equipped with the Carbon wheels
1/3 tank (~7 Gal) of gas: 3600 lbs.

After filling up full of fuel to the 18 Gal capacity, weighed again and got, 3680 lbs.

It's a heavy pig

theseoldcars

CCCUK Member
To be fair, I think that's pretty respectable, especially in this day and age – and particularly given its price and class. A Ferrari 296 GTS, which has a list price of some three times the C8 Z06, comes in at around 1,600kg (~3,530lb) on the road, if not more, so for the bigger and far less expensive C8 to come in near that is good going. Doubly so considering that, say, an old C4 ZR-1 would clock in at around 3,400lb on corner scales.

Sure, lighter is better when it comes to outright performance, but the C8's a substantial and well-equipped sports car, like many of its competitors. And times change, too; many modern cars are remarkable at concealing their weight, and there are lots of factors that make it difficult for that weight to be easily cut down – safety structures and equipment, interior equipment, emissions equipment, increased engine output that necessitates larger and heavier braking, steering, suspension and cooling components and supporting systems, etc.

Even a new Lotus Emira is probably getting on for 1,500kg (~3,300), at the kerb...

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Issue to me is this chassis dyno'd C8 Z06 was $187,000 and only has 420 ft/lb rearwheel torque
Compare that to a far cheaper C7 Z06 with 680 ft/lb rearwheel Torque

Last weekend, this C8 Z06 was at the standing half mile race in Texas at a airport runway
Weather 55 F deg
Owner made several passes with average speed of 153 MPH and 0-60 times of 3.7 seconds
C8 Stingrays were doing speeds of about 145 MPH, so to me, the Z06 is not showing supercar performance for its price.

That is only 11% higher speed than base C8 costing far less than Z06
The Z06 DCT gear ratios not helping as Z06 crossed finish line in 5th gear and already max'd out in speed
and weighing almost 2 tons with driver in car, does not help

C7dynojpg.jpgfirst.jpg

Last edited:

theseoldcars

CCCUK Member
I get where you're coming from, but picking out and comparing isolated figures is always a potential road to rack and ruin. One car might naturally excel in one particular area; does it tell the whole story? No, not at all. And, there, you're talking about a naturally aspirated car versus a larger displacement car with forced induction, in a straight line. It's not a great surprise as to what comes out on top.

But, in another situation... Tadge Juechter has already said that the C8 Z06 can match a C7 ZR1, in terms of track times, and will actually deliver higher average speeds over the course of several laps – so a C7 Z06 isn't going to hassle it much. Chalk one up for the C8 and its measly output, heh! :D

And if a C8 Z06 is doing 153mph in half a mile, that's comparable to, say, a Ferrari 458. Not doing badly (especially given that we don't know any more about that particular car, how it was being driven, etc.).

And that's before we get to whatever comes next in the C8 range... 🧐

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Not lots of any types of racing with a 2 ton car with only 420 ft/lbs of torque at rearwheels

Add the weight ratio for that Z06 came in at 67% in the ass end and that is with the lighter carbon fiber wheels
Tadge is a BS artist to me, the suspension of C8 is not much different than a C7 other than the coilover shocks
and at times what the spring ratings are maybe a negative on a track with lots of turns where weight is shifting

If looking at the C8.R did poorly this year in both IMSA and WEC to the win ratio of the C7.R was much better

The more costly the car is, the more you expect of its race ability to win races, add the $200 grand this Z06 costed
I just do not see GM having proved their marketing as a "world's Supercar"

It will be a wait, see how the LT6 FPC engine holds up to decide as Tadge claimed as the best Corvette ever

z06ftrearweiratioA.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
People are always telling me about their superbly old and light sportscars. Then you find any Corvette built since about 1990 will blow them into the weeds.

And no, I don't care about the superfically impressive statistics of bland electric rollerskates.