Carbon Fibre Skinning - Take 2

TimP

CCCUK Member
Some of you might remember that I posted an article on the carbon fibre skinning of a damaged and faded C3 armrest. Although I was quite pleased with my first attempt it wasn't technically good enough to go in the car (although it didn't look bad) and I also thought that the black carbon fibre look would be a bit stark and out of place in the sunglasses-at-the-ready bright red cockpit of my project '72. I think carbon fibre trim looks quite good in the multi shades of grey interiors that most modern cars seem to be built with today but I not sure about the suitability for my car. So having got here (see below) with a full carbon fibre skin (not wrap) I decided to do something a bit different to soften the contrast.

CF-1.JPG

So I selected a mixed red and black carbon fibre weave as a second try.... The black fibre is genuine carbon fibre structural material with a red non structural fibre included for decoration. After buying this I found out that Aston Martin use a very similar red/black fabric for their 'Q' series customer cars.
Each application of skinning adds about 1.5mm (perhaps a bit more) to the dimension of the original object so to ensure that the armrest still fitted correctly the old surface had to come off After doing this (wearing a good quality mask, hat, gloves and overalls - carbon fibre particles aren't nice) and coating the armrest with a base coat of black resin it looked like this...
CF-2.JPG

When this resin becomes tacky to the touch the weave is draped over the object and carefully stuck to the resin with the roller (seen in pic). It's very important to get the air bubbles out and to make sure that the weave has fully stuck down. The weave is very fragile in it's uncured state and needs no excuse to start unravelling. One thing I did find with the the two tone weave is that ANY distortion of the fabric is much more noticeable - human eyes are very good at spotting things that aren't quite parallel.

CF-3.JPG
Once the resin is fully cured the excess is trimmed and the holes and grooves are cut out.
CF-4.JPG

Then two coats or clear resin are added and left to cure fully. It's then rubbed down with 400 grit to make the surfaces as flat as possible and also to give a key for the next resin coat. In the following pic I have used masking tape to 'dam' the resin to give a square edge to the switch holes and to the groove for the brake handle. I added 4 thin coats of clear resin making sure that each new coat was added just as the previous coat was getting tacky - to give a good bond - and also being careful to avoid runs in the vertical surfaces.
CF-7.JPG
After a little sanding and polishing the armrest came out quite well - a lot better technically than my first attempt - although still not perfect.

CF-8.JPGCF-9.JPG

CF-13.JPG CF-14.JPG

Note that the finished red colour is a lot more subdued than the original (quite shrill) red in the weave.

So ... will I use the armrest? Probably not - I think I still will prefer the original GM finish but it's been good fun experimenting. I will put it to one side and try it out when the interior is complete. If it does look good I will remove any remaining imperfections (there are a few that will sand/polish out) and probably do some of the other damaged interior panels to match.

Attachments

• CF-5.JPG
    CF-5.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 7

Roscobbc

A very good effort Tim. The stock handbrake console in a C3 if very substantial - if someone inadvertently kneels on it getting through the cabin it'll crack no question. I like what you have done there. Considered the door cards and dashtop. An interesting and perhaps relatively inexpensive 'take' on doing this to existing and tatty existing interior trim?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
So ... will I use the armrest? Probably not - I think I still will prefer the original GM finish but it's been good fun experimenting. I will put it to one side and try it out when the interior is complete. If it does look good I will remove any remaining imperfections (there are a few that will sand/polish out) and probably do some of the other damaged interior panels to match.

You have very high standards, if i had put that amount of work in and it looked like that i would definitely be fitting it.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That looks very good indeed, I'm impressed. If I had the skills, I might have given that a go. I need to do something with my centre armrest because s Roscobbc said above - someone probably did kneel on it as mine is cracked.

TimP

CCCUK Member
A very good effort Tim. The stock handbrake console in a C3 if very substantial - if someone inadvertently kneels on it getting through the cabin it'll crack no question. I like what you have done there. Considered the door cards and dashtop. An interesting and perhaps relatively inexpensive 'take' on doing this to existing and tatty existing interior trim ?
Absolutely - this was the original intention: to take something unusable and try and make something good out of it. The total cost of what I have done with the black/red carbon fibre is no more than £30, probably less. The weave itself is £20 a square metre and I think I only used about half of it. I haven't considered door cards (interesting idea though) but I did wonder about the dash top as mine is not good cosmetically and the speaker grilles are both broken. The only thing is that I think it needs a bit of give to get it into position under the screen - that might be lost with a CF skin on it.

TimP

CCCUK Member
You have very high standards, if i had put that amount of work in and it looked like that i would definitely be fitting it.
From a finish point of view I am very pleased and would be happy to use it but I don't think it will look right with the bright red of the rest of the cockpit. I have new seat covers buried in the attic somewhere and I might get them out if I have some time this week and do a quick colour match

TimP

CCCUK Member
That looks very good indeed, I'm impressed. If I had the skills, I might have given that a go. I need to do something with my centre armrest because s Roscobbc said above - someone probably did kneel on it as mine is cracked.
In all honesty you don't need much in terms of skills but it does need some thought/planning about how the specific component you are working on needs to be done before you start. I did this arm rest after watching some excellent instructional videos on the Easy Composites website, where I bought the materials from. They also have a tutorial about how to make your own carbon fibre bonnet. I haven't watched it yet because I know I will get distracted from what I am supposed to be doing but one day ....

TimP

CCCUK Member
You continue to impress with your skill and have a go attitude Tim 👍cant wait to see this 72 finished😀
Thanks! I've always been interested in composite materials - I'm fairly sure it's not a coincidence that I have a Corvette :). I did consider a Scimitar (like this ...Percival Motors Scimitar) once upon a time. There is a great set of videos on YouTube by Soup Classic Motoring on restoring a Series 1 Esprit (spot the theme?) which is highly recommended viewing and a very interesting (I think maybe unique) way of presenting a rebuild project. Can't wait either to get this finished either - front should be off by the end of the week and then have a look at the work to do underneath ... but the end is in sight.