Choke issues

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Just fitted a rebuilt quadrajet carb. to my 79. Works ok but on a cold start the choke gets the revs to about 1750 and is reluctant to drop even with several stabs on the throttle. How do you adjust it??

Thanks

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Fast idle speed screw is under the choke actuator. Also check the cam on the other side. There is a procedure to adjust and check.

Have a google for quadrajet fast idle.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Fast idle screw is right off. OK when hot, but on cold start it's running up to 2000rpm which doesn't seem too good on a cold engine:unsure:
Will google unless someone knows better?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Are you getting confused between the idle screw and the fast idle screw?
Is the cam follower lever sitting on the fast idle screw?
Is the cam follower sitting on the cam?

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I've released the three screws on that circular bit and turned it clockwise a few degrees and that has calmed it down. Need to do a proper cold start to see if it's sorted. Don't want to meddle too much because it says it's been bench tested for correct operation. Will check the throttle stop screw on the other side when fully hot.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Sounds like you’ve got an electric choke version. The bit you’ve adjusted should be set with the engine cold, in simple terms it moves the choke from closed (cold) to open (hot). There should still be a fast idle screw to control idle speed with the choke on as I circled. 534EED1D-24F1-4E44-9592-DC9CCD9FE671.jpeg
Instructions on setting fast idle and choke here.