Choke query,

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi , not sure if I asked this before but any thoughts on a manual choke, anyone fitted or removed one, mine is all there and just needs a cable. Just feel it would be a lot easier than all the pumping etc to get her started. Pros and cons appreciated, (650 double pumper )👍0E197CCA-C6F4-432F-9E2C-F44F9A368709.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Personally I would look for an auto choke kit for your carb (if one exists). But if you go manual choke, I'd hide that somewhere inside so you don't have to see it when not in use.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Personally I would look for an auto choke kit for your carb (if one exists). But if you go manual choke, I'd hide that somewhere inside so you don't have to see it when not in use.
Thanks capt’n , i can get an electric choke kit too, just that i havent had much luck with them on my vw buggy, prob just me tho 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks capt’n , i can get an electric choke kit too, just that i havent had much luck with them on my vw buggy, prob just me tho 👍
Could loose it somewhere low under dash , they dont look bad with the holley name on the knob. She always starts but in the very cold days if not been started for a week or so it might start and stop two or three times whilst trying to feather the throttle just enough to keep her running without revving her too much when cold. 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Its just my personal preference with the Vette. I think of it more of a "fancy" car, and should be a bit better than an Austin 1100 or other "normal" old British Leyland vehicles that had manual chokes, the type of vehicles I associate manual chokes with. I should add I have nothing against manual chokes, I had one in my first car, but I find it detracts from the "fanciness" of something as nice as a Vette. I'd have no problem with a manual choke in said old Austins etc - for me it seems more appropriate in that kind of vehicle.

If it helps, my Edelbrock has an auto electric choke on it, and that's one of the things on my engine that does work fine :ROFLMAO:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Its just my personal preference with the Vette. I think of it more of a "fancy" car, and should be a bit better than an Austin 1100 or other "normal" old British Leyland vehicles that had manual chokes, the type of vehicles I associate manual chokes with. I should add I have nothing against manual chokes, I had one in my first car, but I find it detracts from the "fanciness" of something as nice as a Vette. I'd have no problem with a manual choke in said old Austins etc - for me it seems more appropriate in that kind of vehicle.

If it helps, my Edelbrock has an auto electric choke on it, and that's one of the things on my engine that does work fine :ROFLMAO:
I got rid of my z4M coupe because I couldnt touch it other than oil and filters and basic fettling as too complicated, plus 580 quid a year tax. I decided to go back to something vintage from an era when things were simpler and I can get involved in repairs and improvements as needed. Dont know what my carb came off as it has a manual choke on it ( I gather vettes only came with electric ones) just seems easiest to stick a cable on whats already there. Not up to NcRS standard so wont be losing points for non originality . 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You’re carb is an aftermarket one. I’d go with electric choke.
Hi oneball,Would that bi metallic bit bolt to my choke or is a remove and replace job?
Back in the day,
the vw fraternity were advised to junk the auto electric chokes as they were supposedly the cause of death of many beetle engines due to dumping too much fuel into the motor and washing the oil off the bores, twenty years or so later I believe the theory was proved wrong and the leccy choke wasnt in fact the work of the devil after all 🥺
As a matter of interest, did all vettes come standard with auto chokes or did some come without any at all ?👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hi oneball,Would that bi metallic bit bolt to my choke or is a remove and replace job?
Back in the day,
the vw fraternity were advised to junk the auto electric chokes as they were supposedly the cause of death of many beetle engines due to dumping too much fuel into the motor and washing the oil off the bores, twenty years or so later I believe the theory was proved wrong and the leccy choke wasnt in fact the work of the devil after all 🥺
As a matter of interest, did all vettes come standard with auto chokes or did some come without any at all ?👍

I put the electric choke back on my Beetle. Worked perfectly, yep same sort of system. Bolts in place of the bracketed you’ve got. Don’t think the carb would need to come off.

Roscobbc

You have options - manual or electric - but first I would look for the Holley list no. (should be on the choke horn) and run a cross reference as to what choke kit is suitable (in case they differ) - it may be as simple as just buying a cable - there may be brackets, clamps etec.
Found out the primary squirter number yet?