Clutch z shaft

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
HiAll, anyone know how much grease one needs to pump into the clutch z bar grease nipple? I can get a bit of noise if I wobble it by hand and I also get a noise. / rattle when driving , I can make it disappear by putting slight pressure on the pedal or by slightly lifting the pedal with the top of my foot. The anti rattle springs seem to be in place. Are there seals on the shaft or just the felt washers. ? T i A. 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
There’s felt washers and plastic bushes. You can get a little pack of them to change along with the pivot. Check the bolt is done up.
You can fill the whole shaft with grease before it reaches the pivots but it seems to expand under heat from the exhaust and dribble out on mine.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
There’s felt washers and plastic bushes. You can get a little pack of them to change along with the pivot. Check the bolt is done up.
You can fill the whole shaft with grease before it reaches the pivots but it seems to expand under heat from the exhaust and dribble out on mine.
Thanks oneball, just bought a flexi tube for my greasegun, I will pump some in tomorrow, I my bolt has come loose twice in the past, it seems tight now tho👍

Roscobbc

Does it really matter about being packed with grease......its not exactly a high tech design is it........much like parking brake linkages - a mere smidgen of greae it all that is needed. Far better perhaps to invest in a rose jointed non lubed item perhaps? clutch linkage | Speed Direct

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks oneball, just bought a flexi tube for my greasegun, I will pump some in tomorrow, I my bolt has come loose twice in the past, it seems tight now tho👍
There is a specific tabbed washer that is supposed to be used behind that bolt. Must admit I havent got one on my car and the bolt has stayed put.
As for the grease I agree with Ross, unless you’re doing thousands of miles, a smear on the mating surfaces is likely to still be in place when you next take it apart in ten years time!
If the car was in for a dealer service back in the day, I guess they would pump grease in until it oozed out of both ends.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
There is a specific tabbed washer that is supposed to be used behind that bolt. Must admit I havent got one on my car and the bolt has stayed put.
As for the grease I agree with Ross, unless you’re doing thousands of miles, a smear on the mating surfaces is likely to still be in place when you next take it apart in ten years time!
If the car was in for a dealer service back in the day, I guess they would pump grease in until it oozed out of both ends.
Ihave the tab in place and it has stayed tight , I was hoping by greasing it may reduce the little bit of movement in the shaft and hence stop the vibration. Will give it a go . Thanks all 👍

Roscobbc

I don't like/trust some of these hydraulic clutch release units.....much prefer the simplicity/reliablity/tinkerability of a mechanical unit.
Would have thought that it's not beyond the capabilties of some of our more inventive members to perhaps fabricate a 'Z' bar perhaps with longer operating arms (for clutch/clutch pedals) and alternative drillings (with Rose jointed rods) to give differing levels of rod movement either for a 'soft' (but longer travel) or 'short' (but heavier) pedal suitable for street or race operation.

Last edited: