Corvette turns 70 years old

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
CCCUK should add this logo to their newsletter

2023 marks the 70th anniversary of Corvette, the longest running nameplate of any car on the road today.
For eight generations, Corvette has pushed the boundaries of technology, performance and style while remaining an attainable cultural icon.

The 2023 model year Corvette Stingray and Corvette Z06 will celebrate this milestone with a special 70th Anniversary Edition package.
70yearsvette.jpg

“Passion for Corvette runs deep at Chevrolet and this anniversary is extra special because of the excitement and sales success we’ve achieved with the eighth generation of America’s iconic sportscar,” said Steve Majoros, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. “Even after 70 years, Corvette still makes hearts race and kids dream of the open road.”

70th Anniversary Edition Corvettes will stand out in one of two exterior colors unique to this package, an all-new White Pearl Metallic Tri-coat or Carbon Flash Metallic. Optional stripes are available in complementing colors Satin Gray with the White Pearl Metallic Tri-coat and Satin Black with the Carbon Flash Metallic.

The 70th Anniversary Edition Corvettes feature distinct wheels with commemorative wheel center caps. While Stingray and Z06 each have separate wheel designs, the wheels share a similar dark finish and Edge Red stripe.

Inside the cockpit, drivers will find two-tone Ceramic leather GT2 or Competition Sport seats, red stitching throughout, red seatbelts, and suede microfiber seat inserts and steering wheel.

Additional content includes:

70th Anniversary Edition exterior badging, including special Corvette cross flags
Edge Red brake calipers
70th Anniversary Edition logo on seats, steering wheel and sill plates
Rear bumper protector and trunk cover
Custom luggage set with red stitching and 70th Anniversary Edition logo

70th Anniversary Edition Stingray coupes will also include an Edge Red engine cover.

The 70th Anniversary Edition package will be available when production starts later this year on 2023 Corvette Stingray 3LT and Z06 3LZ coupe and convertible models. The 2023 Corvette Z06 visualizer, live on Chevrolet.com, now includes the 70th Anniversary Edition package.

All 2023 Corvettes, including those not equipped with the 70th Anniversary Edition package, will feature a commemorative 70th anniversary interior plaque located on the center speaker grille and a graphic imprinted on the lower rear window.

Corvette is offering buyers more options in 2023 to make each vehicle bespoke and personalized, raising the number of choices to 14 available exterior colors and eight interior colors that allow for thousands of combinations.

America’s Supercar is raising the stakes for military families

The first-ever retail production mid-engine Corvette Z06 will be a 70th Anniversary Edition. VIN 001 of this highly anticipated special edition Corvette Z06 will cross the auction block at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022, with proceeds benefitting Operation Home front, a national nonprofit focused on building strong, stable and secure military families who can thrive not simply struggle to get by – in the communities they’ve worked hard to protect.

Since 2017, Chevrolet has been a proud supporter of Operation Home front. Chevrolet has provided seven Silverado full-size trucks to the organization’s six regional offices and headquarters, and donated funding for services.

Legendary former Corvette Racing driver Oliver Gavin will drive the 2023 Corvette Z06 stand-in vehicle across the auction block for this special occasion.

2023Corvette-Z06-70t.jpg2023vette-Z06-70t.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am sure the CCCUK committee will be planning a BIG Splash for 2023 . Hopefully we can get a monster turn out of cars at the 2023 Silverstone Classic ( the worlds largest classic car racing event ) and do the Corette proud with some big parade laps of the Grand Prix Circuit . (y)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I am sure the CCCUK committee will be planning a BIG Splash for 2023 . Hopefully we can get a monster turn out of cars at the 2023 Silverstone Classic ( the worlds largest classic car racing event ) and do the Corette proud with some big parade laps of the Grand Prix Circuit . (y)

Would be a good time to go back into the past and see what Corvettes were all about then

Here is 2 of the first original Corvette News that were published
Read about the need for "double-clutching" hell I remember having to do that :)

Attachments

• 1959-Corvette-News-1.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 1960-Corvette-News-2.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 2

antijam

CCCUK Member
CCCUK should add this logo to their newsletter

2023 marks the 70th anniversary of Corvette, the longest running nameplate of any car on the road today........

Certainly 70 years of continuous production is a significant milestone but doesn't the Chevy Suburban nameplate - still in use - date back to 1935?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Certainly 70 years of continuous production is a significant milestone but doesn't the Chevy Suburban nameplate - still in use - date back to 1935?

General Motors was founded by William C. Durant on September 16, 1908, as a holding company for Buick. In 1909, GM purchased the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company of Pontiac, Michigan, forming the basis of the General Motors Truck Company, from which the "GMC Truck" brand name was derived.
The Reliance Motor Car Company (another independent manufacturer) was also purchased that same year by GM. Rapid and Reliance were merged in 1911, and in 1912 the marque "GMC Truck" first appeared on vehicles exhibited at the New York International Auto Show. Later "GMC" would become distinct as a division brand within the corporation, branding trucks and coaches; in contrast, the abbreviation for the overall corporation eventually ended up as "GM".

In 1916, a GMC Truck crossed the country from Seattle to New York City in thirty days, and in 1927, a 2-ton GMC truck was driven from New York to San Francisco in five days, 17 hours and 36 minutes.
During the Second World War, GMC Truck produced 600,000 trucks for use by the United States Armed Forces.

Starting in 1920, GMC and Chevrolet trucks are virtually identical except for the grilles and nameplates, though their differences have varied over the years.
From 1955 through 1959 small (less than 2 ton) GMC trucks with gasoline V8s were equipped with Pontiac, Buick, and Oldsmobile V8s (the Canadian trucks used Chevrolet engines). GMC had its own line of inline 6 cylinder engines, known as "Jimmy's" from 1939-1959, and their own V6 from 1960-1974. Chevrolet's trucks were marketed towards private ownership, while GMC was focused towards commercial uses.

The 1956 GMC Suburban Pickup was the GMC version of the more well-known Chevrolet Cameo pickup. Originally intended to be called the 'Town and Country,' the name finally selected for production was 'Suburban.'

The Suburban model name was first used, however, by Chevrolet in 1933 for the extended-length, part wood-body station wagon built on the 1/2-ton truck frame and thus started the longest continuous use of an automobile model name as it's obviously still in use today.

GMC was positioned a step above Chevrolet, and ads touted it as 'Top of the Light-Duty Class.'
The new-for-1955 GMC styling was billed as 'Blue Chip Design' and the prestige model was the very special 'Suburban' pickup.

The 1956 GMC styling was virtually unchanged from 1955 and features sleek sides, unique tail lights and a panoramic windshield. The truck features fiberglass fenders attached to a steel cargo box with a hidden spare tire compartment.
The Suburban pictured is fully optioned with the Deluxe Cab, chrome bumpers and grille and WSW tires.
It is powered by a 316.6 cubic-inch V8 engine delivering 180 horsepower with a 4-speed Hydra-matic transmission.
GMC produced the Suburban from 1955 through 1957 and total production was close to 1,000 units. When new, it sold for $1,923.

Have to laugh how skinny those truck tires are ~

1956-Suburban2.jpgCannonball-Run.jpg1956-Suburban1.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
It must be a long time since America's Sports Car was seen anywhere near the Chevrolet name, even if they're sold at Chevy dealerships and still have a tiny bow-tie on the badge. I don't think there's even Chevy signage on the Bowling Green plant - just GM. And if I recall correctly some C6 Corvettes had a "GM" badge on the side.

I always thought Pontiac was a proper American name whereas Chevrolet and Corvette are French. Although Pontiac cars only got "sporty" in the 1960s names like "Firebird" and "Trans Am" have always struck a chord with me.

New York Times: More than any other G.M. brand, Pontiac stood for performance, speed and sex appeal.

And I'm a sucker for the Clutch track "Firebirds",

"Firebirds! Energy weapons! Both of these things are interesting to me, I don't care how you get them, I need them both and I need them urgently,"

"Defcon! Tractor beams! Weaponized Funk. In walks Barbarella, set to stun."