Corvette ZR2

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Any news Re the possible ZR2? What’s been happening?
I went to see it on Thursday with another member - Gary.

Incredible set up and what a collection the guy had. He passed away recently so it seems the entire collection is to be sold off as they have a huge building that houses it and full time mechanics that have been looking after the collection for 47 years. Paul, our host on the day couldn't have been more accommodating and took the time to explain the history on the ZR2, SWC and others even letting us remove parts to check serial numbers. He was very upset with the sudden passing away of Mal the owner.

The ZR2 has done maybe 100 miles in 20 years (some of which at 165MPH!) and is in very good condition for its age. I'm no Al Grenning but Gary and I both agreed that the pad stamp looked legit with faint broach marks visible. It had a repair done from a low speed bump on the offside front corner and was likely repainted then in the late 70's. Haven't had time since to check some serial numbers like the carb but will do soon.

Started on the turn of the key and sounded nice running smooth. They have an offer for both from a USA collector but low in my opinion..

The split was the 300hp, manual and zero options in pretty good shape but a body off to make it right needed. A mistake by the previous owner (leaving masking tape on for several years) has caused paint damage around all the SS window trims. Started and ran nice.

Attachments

• 20220616_132045.jpg
    20220616_132045.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220616_125532.jpg
    20220616_125532.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 4

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s the sort of authenticity that’s needed from acknowledged people in the field of “corvettes” without that it may not be taken seriously. As for “what’s it worth”, it’s worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. That’s why in some ways an auction is a true guide to that figure. The problem is all the acknowledged corvette “gurus “ are in the US and the physical car is in the UK, and the market for that car along with the money is again in the US.

keep at it tho.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Of course with the modern invention “the internet “ , every man and his dog could now be considered an expert in some field or another.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Correct and the sort of high value car worth faking. They have a partial tank sticker but at home not at the garage. It also featured in an American issue of some magazine smoke billowing from the rear tyres..

Attachments

• 20220616_133121_resized.jpg
    20220616_133121_resized.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Indeed, what’s the point of faking a “plain Jane” there are more 1967 427/435 cars about nowadays than Chevrolet actually built in 1967. 😂

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It can sometimes work the other way tho. My friend had what he thought was a 1964 coupe, it turned out it was actually a 1963.
Back in the day Many owners of 1963 SWC’s removed the “split” and fitted the new for 64 rear screen to make their old corvette more modern.
he was well pleased when he found out, and put it back to how it was. His wallet was happy as well.