Daily a C5 or C6?

AlanRoss

New user
First post here!
I have been looking at Corvettes for a long time but being based in NI I never see them about.

I own a Mustang that I bought new in 2018 and it’s great to be able to daily a 5.0 V8 (manual) and have a warranty! Mind you this warranty is ending soon...

That got me thinking about maybe it’s time to start looking at Corvettes again. The C7’s appear to be just a slight stretch above budget but a C6 could be a good buy and I always loved a C5 too. I do about 6000 miles a year and mpg doesn’t bother me! Mustang gets 22 mpg. What does bother me is general reliability. How reliable are these cars and would you daily one?
Also any recommendations on who would service one in NI?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
No experience at all but can’t see it being an issue. They’re a proper modern car and you do see ones in the States with intergalactic mileages that’d make a minicab look hardly used.

Young Bill

CCCUK regional rep
I daily'ed my C6 for 4 years, probably circa 6k miles as well. I reckon the C6 would be an easier DD than the C5, but not experienced the C5 as an everyday car. I'm currently using the C7 as a 85% daily. really don't see the point in having a car and not using it. They clean up well and you can repair any road rash :) Only time I don't take it out is when its deep snow :)
9287vettesnow.jpg

Redlevel

Well-known user
Corvettes are tough, all weather, all year round beasts, a car for all seasons. 👍
Dailyed in my C4 for 15years and over 100k miles and took it on holidays etc. 😁

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
In normal times it's my usual daily driver. I do have another car that I use when I need the extra seats or when salt is down, but other than that it's used very regularly. I opted for a high mileage car so I could use it without pressure or worry about putting more miles on the clock. It is very reliable, almost all occasions it's off the road has been for preventative maintenance or upgrades. :)

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
I daily drove my C4 for four years and my first C5 for four years, had virtually no problems with either only the VATS on the C4 which was sorted easily.
Have a C6 Z06 now and don't need to run her every day as I have another for that now.
Can't see a problem, it's a car and a strong one at that.

Yellowshark

Well-known user
I am still dailying my 2001 C5 which I ordered and bought new. Done 160,000+ miles now. Commuting, oseas holidays, getting groceries from Waitrose. Very recently renewed the original clutch. It was actually the slave cylinder that went but there was no point in spending all that money to get the bell housing out and not renew the clutch plates at the same time. That was the biggest bill I have had in ownership, circa £1100. What else has broken, well new radiator DIY, new ignition lock DIY, engine backfire caused by defective ignition coil pack DIY, resoldering of the brake control module Sub contracted(more common with 2001 MY I think as that was the year GM moved to lead free soldering). Annual service inc. MOT about £250. Oh and I have just recently lost the HUD display, could be nothing more than a fuse, once it gets warmer and the rain stops I will investigate. Personally I am very happy with that given 160,000 miles over 20 years, lol knocks the sox off my wife's BMWs