DeLorean: Back from the Future

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Anyone watch this on BBC2 last night? BBC Two - DeLorean: Back from the Future
Fascinating documentary looking more into the man himself than the car. Many things stuck in my mind while watching it, but two things are worth pondering over:
1. The factory in Northern Ireland brought Protestants and Catholics together, working side by side in complete harmony, something unthinkable during the troubles.
2. Colin Chapman's involvement - both men were brilliant engineers, but both syphoned off huge sums into a secret swiss bank account.

Roscobbc

Anyone watch this on BBC2 last night? BBC Two - DeLorean: Back from the Future
Fascinating documentary looking more into the man himself than the car. Many things stuck in my mind while watching it, but two things are worth pondering over:
1. The factory in Northern Ireland brought Protestants and Catholics together, working side by side in complete harmony, something unthinkable during the troubles.
2. Colin Chapman's involvement - both men were brilliant engineers, but both syphoned off huge sums into a secret swiss bank account.
Fascinating story. How naive were the Labour government of the day advancing all that money with no monitoring!

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Fascinating story. How naive were the Labour government of the day advancing all that money with no monitoring!
Good point, although their theory that if people were working they wouldn't be rioting, had some merit.
But no excuse for not having a finance person, say civil servant, full time at the factory.

Rich

Administrator
I watched it and was interested to learn about the man. A classic Government contract and you can't blame him for trying it on. Would have liked to see more about how the cars were made.

Roscobbc

Perhaps use of the PSA group V6 engine didn't help with longevity of the engine/transmission combo? - and yes, use of brushed stainless steel was to a point revolutionary - but gave many owners issues in terms of maintaining appearance etc

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Classic and Sports Car magazine did a piece on the Delorean vs the Bricklin this month. Cars with the same ethos apparently, although I didn't know too much about Bricklin. I've read a fair amount about Delorean the man, an interesting chap who got nicely stitched up! The engine choice (which was a necessity really) was ultimately the cars downfall really.

Without doubt, "that" film did the Delorean no harm, but its interesting that they are still very popular and always draw attention. I gather they are not hard to own, with good club and spares support.

Rich

Administrator
I quite fancy a car young can polish with a Brillo Pad :LOL:

But then I'd have to sell my collection of part used bottles/containers/tins of every type of Polish, Detail Spray, Shampoo etc that have ever been produced by any manufacturer and all of which currently reside in my gagrage,

Roscobbc

Had the DeLorean debarcle never happened and the car had gone into series production it probably (like the Bricklin and countless other similar concepts worldwide) disappeared into obscurity for ever with perhaps just a few cheapskates buying up and braking cars to keep them running. The fall of DeLorean and subsequent bankruptsy sealed its fate as a 'future' collectible car for many non-car type enthusiasts.