Distributor position

clivette72

CCCUK Member
Just replaced the spark plugs on my 72 350 Auto. Have noticed that No 1 Plug lead is positioned on the R/H side (at 3 0clock) not at the front as described in
the workshop manual. It uses MSD electronic ignition with Blaster coil. I have put NGK BR 5 FS plugs as I'm told they are matches for the original
AC Delco 44. Would be grateful for any explanation as to why the distributor is in this unusual position. Thanks. Clive

Roscobbc

Sounds to me like whoever previously removed distributor (for whatever reason) replaced it 180 degrees out and shifted plug leads to suit. Normally one would pick up on this straight away as the existing plug leads would not be the correct length for the respective spark plugs (probably done when new HT leads were made-up) - nothing wrong with what you have - its works presumably as it should ? just potentially inconvenient.

antijam

CCCUK Member
This thread may clarify. The No.1 lead on the 350 small block is traditionally at the front, but GM specified an alternative position to ease installation of the tachometer drive cable. This article by Lars Grimsrud explains it fully.

clivette72

CCCUK Member
Sounds to me like whoever previously removed distributor (for whatever reason) replaced it 180 degrees out and shifted plug leads to suit. Normally one would pick up on this straight away as the existing plug leads would not be the correct length for the respective spark plugs (probably done when new HT leads were made-up) - nothing wrong with what you have - its works presumably as it should ? just potentially inconvenient.
Thanks for your reply. As you say, if it works ok don't mend it. Just seemed a bit odd.