E5

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
A little cruise last eve , finished by topping tank off with E5 , got me wondering if there is such a thing as an inline filter / water separator that would help with trapping any water in the tank befor it gets to the motor , carb etc. Any boffins on here ? That would sell really well if it protected classic vehicles from damage 🤔👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
A little cruise last eve , finished by topping tank off with E5 , got me wondering if there is such a thing as an inline filter / water separator that would help with trapping any water in the tank befor it gets to the motor , carb etc. Any boffins on here ? That would sell really well if it protected classic vehicles from damage 🤔👍

Attachments

• 9993A1E6-D877-44AD-96D3-308B63E7179D.jpeg
    9993A1E6-D877-44AD-96D3-308B63E7179D.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BDCCD859-0B9F-46B4-8C77-BA14A799EDFF.jpeg
    BDCCD859-0B9F-46B4-8C77-BA14A799EDFF.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 8

HJG

Well-known user
Diesels have had a water catch in the filter for many years. Not sure if it's still a thing or not. Water, being denser than petrol and diesel collects at the bottom of the filter and can be drained off.

Anyway E5 which you topped up with is fine and everybody's been running it for years.
The new E10 isn't going to cause anybody's car to melt, but in my opinion should be avoided by virtue of its 95RON octane rating alone.
97RON minimum for me.

Roscobbc

I'm guessing that how you store your vehicle will have the most significant effect on water in fuel. A cold unheated concrete garage will always have the potential to cause condensation on the inner surfaces of the fuel tank. Best bet is to store the car with either no fuel in it - or - 100% full up to the brim.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Took the Vette out for a blast up the A5 on Friday to the nearest Esso emporium for a tank full of Ethanol free Esso Supreme 99 RON ready for a good long fun drive today . (y)

Vettemike09

Committee Member
I drove my C6 out the garage today……. To clean it after our road trip to France a couple of weeks back. Just under 1,000 miles on great, quiet roads visiting some fantastic locations 👍

Attachments

• D4AE23DC-2EBB-4202-82E6-059CE0C4AD13.jpeg
    D4AE23DC-2EBB-4202-82E6-059CE0C4AD13.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I'm guessing that how you store your vehicle will have the most significant effect on water in fuel. A cold unheated concrete garage will always have the potential to cause condensation on the inner surfaces of the fuel tank. Best bet is to store the car with either no fuel in it - or - 100% full up to the brim.
Yes , i am a full to the brim 👍hoping to create a stable insulated environment,,my current shed suffers from those rapid changes of temperature with a sweating and dripping box profile roof hence the air chamber for years. 👍

Roscobbc

Petrol seems plentiful up here in Derbyshire but Esso 99 RON is £1.54/litre. Ouch:eek: How does that compare?
It works like this. You decide to go out for a little drive. You put in £30 worth of Synergy 99. You then do a quick calc to see how much actual gas you put in in 'real time' (non of this mickey mouse metric litres crap) and realising that you've only put in 4 gallons and only only drive out somewhere about 30 miles or so (and back) you come on this forum and wonder how good fuel came to be over £7 a gallon.....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am just glad I am nearer the Exit door to this world than the Main Entrance . That way the C3 might just last me out . Then HMG and all those that replace them in turn can do their damndest ! I think we are the last generation to have experienced the best of many things . :(

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I am just glad I am nearer the Exit door to this world than the Main Entrance . That way the C3 might just last me out . Then HMG and all those that replace them in turn can do their damndest ! I think we are the last generation to have experienced the best of many things . :(
Yes freedom/fun is running out every year. You had the best years in retrospect.