Engine management

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
I am still having that engine management problem, the SES warning comes on, main fan comes on, no engine power lost etc, fault is intermittent. The garage that does work on my car found the fault to be a Secondary Pump/Fan, located front left near where the horn is. They found a part number thru US automotive, but nobody can get them, the part is Delco 215-345, anybody have a clue where to go next, or is there a way of bi-passing the problem. Getting really annoying now!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Get it out and rebuild it, secondary air pumps usually fail as they get moisture in there and a bit of corrosion stops the electric motor turning.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That is the smog pump, if where you live does not do smog testing, disconnect the wiring connector from it
and see how that does (such as it trip error code for it)
I see those selling them want about $180 US

Examples

Smog Pump

Another one

Else the smog pump can be turned off via as I do is make a change in ECM tune and burn it in a new EPROM

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
To assure smog pump is never commanded ON
As I show here is setting the trigger as when the ECM commands pump on to a high
coolant temp, would never reach that temp and also would prevent the error code tripping the SES light on

This is one tuning table of a base C4 ECM calibration

smog.jpg