Fluid recommendations

Lewis117

CCCUK Member
1995 C4, LT1, change oil light has just come on, so obviously changing the filter and oil

Online recommends any 10/30.... But not sure cheap oil is best....

Gonna change oil and trans fluid, what would everyone recommend?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I'll let C4 peeps recommend the best fluids but when I did my C3 trans fluid there was no drain so I had to purchase a 1.5 ltr syringe (£25 from eruo parts) to suck out the old crap and add the new fluid. Bloody ridiculous and no real way of getting 100% of it out. You can drill, tap and fit a plug but that was hassle I didn't want..

I buy mine at Rye Oils in bulk

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM has been using Mobil I oils and fluids for decades now and states it as the recommended one to use

Mobil I has engine, tranny and rear diff oils/fluids that are fully synthetic that handles heat much better and
has versions for even older engines, extended use versions up to 7,500 miles and racing versions

I know in many years of racing Corvettes and using all Mobil 1 since 2000 there has been zero problems using it

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
I disagree with using Mobile 1, I know a lot of people and the service book recommend it but the Mobile 1 oil you get now is different to the Mobile 1 when your car was new.
Modern oils have lower ZDDP (zink) and more detergent to keep engine internals clean but that washes away the ZDDP your flat tappet engine needs.
I use Driven 10-30 in my C4 as it is made specifically for flat tappet engines and has the correct amount of ZDDP
For the trans fluid I think it's Dexron 4.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Don't forget that club members get a 10% discount at Opie Oils 👍😁

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I disagree with using Mobile 1, I know a lot of people and the service book recommend it but the Mobile 1 oil you get now is different to the Mobile 1 when your car was new.
Modern oils have lower ZDDP (zink) and more detergent to keep engine internals clean but that washes away the ZDDP your flat tappet engine needs.
I use Driven 10-30 in my C4 as it is made specifically for flat tappet engines and has the correct amount of ZDDP
For the trans fluid I think it's Dexron 4.

Not sure what version of Mobil 1 you're mentioning, but I have my 99 C5 used oil tested by Blackstone Testlabs and always show correct amount of zinc in test results
blackstone.jpg

Also shows even with the newest supercar version for Corvettes having zinc

mobilsuper.jpg

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Not sure what version of Mobil 1 you're mentioning, but I have my 99 C5 used oil tested by Blackstone Testlabs and always show correct amount of zinc in test results
View attachment 25585

Also shows even with the newest supercar version for Corvettes having zinc

View attachment 25584
Never had my oil tested and good to see the results.
I read somewhere about it having higher detergent levels than the older versions due to catalytic converters which washes away the ZDDP from where it is needed.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Some time ago I attended a demonstration of bearing wear while using different makes of oil. The company running the demo is a Royal Purple supplier & actually races a C4. The difference in wear in the demo was significant with Royal Purple coming out the best with the least wear, although they didn't name the other oils in the test.
On an earlier visit to this company they showed me the results of wear tests online using different makes of oil. Royal Purple, Redline & Amsoil all came out equal best of the oils tested.
For my part I've used all of these oils in our C5 annual oil changes, no problems at all with any of these oils.
I've heard that the Mobil 1 we buy in the UK is not the same as the Mobil 1 available in the USA.
Not sure if any of the above is of any use, just my two penneth.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Never had my oil tested and good to see the results.
I read somewhere about it having higher detergent levels than the older versions due to catalytic converters which washes away the ZDDP from where it is needed.

Not sure how a CAT after the engine can affect how the internals function with oil ?

Having the engine or tranny used oil/fluids tested and analyzed like a testlab like Blackstone is they keep a record of all tests for owners vehicle and do a compare of newest sample sent to older ones and from that can even tell what type of wear is going on or if anti-freeze is seen in oil to inform of an issue that needs to be looked into before it gets worse

Testing and analyzed finding costs are only around $30 per sample and past results are online, if not finding the analyzed results they email to you

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Some time ago I attended a demonstration of bearing wear while using different makes of oil. The company running the demo is a Royal Purple supplier & actually races a C4. The difference in wear in the demo was significant with Royal Purple coming out the best with the least wear, although they didn't name the other oils in the test.
On an earlier visit to this company they showed me the results of wear tests online using different makes of oil. Royal Purple, Redline & Amsoil all came out equal best of the oils tested.
For my part I've used all of these oils in our C5 annual oil changes, no problems at all with any of these oils.
I've heard that the Mobil 1 we buy in the UK is not the same as the Mobil 1 available in the USA.
Not sure if any of the above is of any use, just my two penneth.

Europe has stricter smog requirements and also have a different oil standard mostly due to all the diesel engines
So GM had to have 2 Dexos oil makeups, 1 for Europe and another for elsewhere

The newest GM Dexos standard like in the new Supercar Mobil 1 oil now meets USA and Europe requirements
GM licensed this makeup and any vendor selling an oil claiming Dexos compliant must test and then license to GM

If interested in reading up on the GM Dexos types read

GM Dexos website

In any case at times GM has had Corvette powertrain warranties from 36,000 to 100,000 miles so clearly the Dexos oil GM required Mobil 1 to have been to assure no engine failures due to oil during that warranty periods

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Not sure how a CAT after the engine can affect how the internals function with oil ?

Having the engine or tranny used oil/fluids tested and analyzed like a testlab like Blackstone is they keep a record of all tests for owners vehicle and do a compare of newest sample sent to older ones and from that can even tell what type of wear is going on or if anti-freeze is seen in oil to inform of an issue that needs to be looked into before it gets worse

Testing and analyzed finding costs are only around $30 per sample and past results are online, if not finding the analyzed results they email to you
The reason why engine manufacturers started asking motor oil companies to reduce ZDDP levels is because it can create build-up in the catalytic converter, which can have a negative impact over time.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The reason why engine manufacturers started asking motor oil companies to reduce ZDDP levels is because it can create build-up in the catalytic converter, which can have a negative impact over time.

Oh, OK
I thought you meant not enough zinc
Another reason for analyzing used oil as my results above as they state what average levels should be compared to what the testing level in the oil sample