Fluids & General Recommendations for a 78 L-82 4spd arriving in the UK next week.

Mskitt

Regular user
Hi All

First post here as a new owner of a 1978 L-82 4 Speed, currently on its way from Denver Colorado to sunny Staffordshire.

The seller gave me a list of the previous work that has been done to the vehicle. And since having new headers & sidepipes installed in 2017, it doesnt seem to have done many miles, and no other work was listed. So as its been "sitting" im keen to swap out oils and major fluids, and get the car ready for UK driving.

What is your go-to oil for the L-82 that I can source in the UK?
Is it worth draining & swapping any other fluids to suit the UK, any you would recommend?
Any common gremlins or issues i need to look out for on this model?

Any other recommendations or tips for dealing with the new arrival would be greatly appreciated.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Definitely recommend Valvolene VR1 for oil . I use nothing else in my 1980 as it has a % high Zinc content . A lot of other members on the forum swaer by it too . Due to the uncertainty over coolant it would be a good idea to drain , flush out and add a new 50/50% mix of antifreeze . I use Bluecol `Red` . Enjoy your new toy when it arrives ans post some pics . (y)

Roscobbc

Definitely recommend Valvolene VR1 for oil . I use nothing else in my 1980 as it has a % high Zinc content . A lot of other members on the forum swaer by it too . Due to the uncertainty over coolant it would be a good idea to drain , flush out and add a new 50/50% mix of antifreeze . I use Bluecol `Red` . Enjoy your new toy when it arrives ans post some pics . (y)
What Chuffer sez........another antifreeze which may be easier to source is the Prestone Yellow in a 50/50 de-ionised mix......or available 50/50 pre mixed.

Mskitt

Regular user
Awesome thanks guys! I guess that is the VR1 20W50 Mineral? As I cant seem to find the 10W30 in the UK without shipping from the states?

If all goes well, and the car turns up with no surprise issues, Id like to get it upto Tatton Park in august. So hope to see some of you there.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Awesome thanks guys! I guess that is the VR1 20W50 Mineral? As I cant seem to find the 10W30 in the UK without shipping from the states?

If all goes well, and the car turns up with no surprise issues, Id like to get it upto Tatton Park in august. So hope to see some of you there.
Yep , that`s the stuff . It`s mineral race oil and readily available in UK so shop around for best price via Ebay etc .etc .