France 30 year old classics

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just read that France has now allowed 30 year old “classics” an exemption from their LEZs. In various cities including Paris.
Not sure how this will affect non French registered cars.
most of Europe that has low emission zones allow a 30 year exemption, I think Germany may even be 25 years old ( as per the “Youngtimer” phrase.
Us, as always different at 40 years. Still not as bad as Sweden which I think is a whopping 50 years or older.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just read that France has now allowed 30 year old “classics” an exemption from their LEZs. In various cities including Paris.
Not sure how this will affect non French registered cars.
most of Europe that has low emission zones allow a 30 year exemption, I think Germany may even be 25 years old ( as per the “Youngtimer” phrase.
Us, as always different at 49 years. Still not as bad as Sweden which I think is a whopping 50 years or older.
Born free and taxed to death in the UK . :cry: At least I received my Council Tax notification today saying I get a £150 refund as a ` Fuel Allowance ` from HMG . That should just about pay for a tank full Esso 99 RON Ethanol Free gas for the C3 . :rolleyes:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
30 years tax exemption would be great, as I have a car that turns 30 in 2 years time. That costs me about £280 ish I think in tax a year due to the "over 1.6 engine size" tax bracket.

antijam

CCCUK Member
For years France has been trying to bolster up its domestic car industry by offering owners of 10 year old cars a bonus of €1000 to replace it with new. This 'prime à la casse' has recently been reduced to €700 but to encourage new sales most of the major manufacturers have agreed to make up the difference . If in spite of this incentive Monsieur has hung onto his old banger, it could now be a money saver.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
For years France has been trying to bolster up its domestic car industry by offering owners of 10 year old cars a bonus of €1000 to replace it with new. This 'prime à la casse' has recently been reduced to €700 but to encourage new sales most of the major manufacturers have agreed to make up the difference . If in spite of this incentive Monsieur has hung onto his old banger, it could now be a money saver.
Running old bangers has a much smaller carbon footprint per vehicle too than churning out millions of new cars , be they ICE or electric .

Roscobbc

Running old bangers has a much smaller carbon footprint per vehicle too than churning out millions of new cars , be they ICE or electric .
100% correct Chuffer - our 40+ year old cars are in fact some of the worlds 'greenest' cars (if one takes into account the carbon consumed during manufacture and the lifespan of the vehicle).

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Trouble is, would you want to go back to driving a Mk5 Cortina every day. Me personally, not sure. Cars have improved considerably over the last 40 odd years.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The "newest" car I own is 15 years old now. I like to think I'm doing my bit for carbon by NOT buying a brand new electric car, and then having it sit on my driveway doing not a lot.
"Buy a second hand electric car then" they say. Well again, I'm dedicating an "already made" electric car to just sit on my drive and not get used much. It'd be better to go to someone who does a lot more mileage and thus better for the carbons. Sorry, minor rant there - just a bit fed up of some people thinking the electric car is the answer to everything and all ICE should be banned. IF I was doing the miles, and I could warrant the high purchase cost of it, then yes I'd get an electric car.

Roscobbc

IF I was doing the miles, and I could warrant the high purchase cost of it, then yes I'd get an electric car.
Ironic really - Capt's remark "IF I was doing the miles" - well, reality is that with an electric car its actually "not doing the miles" that determines whether to buy one or not........If you are a serious car user doing perhaps regular 2 or 3 hundred mile round trips then an electric car may not be suitable for you. The only exeption perhaps a used S type Tesla with its 'free' 'Supercharging' contract.......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Ironic really - Capt's remark "IF I was doing the miles" - well, reality is that with an electric car its actually "not doing the miles" that determines whether to buy one or not........If you are a serious car user doing perhaps regular 2 or 3 hundred mile round trips then an electric car may not be suitable for you. The only exeption perhaps a used S type Tesla with its 'free' 'Supercharging' contract.......
Haha, true, and also I see a capital F slipped in there when I typed "If". Oops.

But yes, long range driving then you are quite right - no electrics as it'd be tedious currently (pun intended). I was more implying that if I was actually commuting regularly to work etc then an electric car might out out for me - aka because I was actually doing a fair amount of commuting miles. But as I do hardly any regular miles now, I just keep my old (previous daily) diesel to do the long trips and tip runs etc.

Roscobbc

Haha, true, and also I see a capital F slipped in there when I typed "If". Oops.

But yes, long range driving then you are quite right - no electrics as it'd be tedious currently (pun intended). I was more implying that if I was actually commuting regularly to work etc then an electric car might out out for me - aka because I was actually doing a fair amount of commuting miles. But as I do hardly any regular miles now, I just keep my old (previous daily) diesel to do the long trips and tip runs etc.
Me? - I don't want to do that kind of driving any more - done it too long to be ass'd to think about doing it now.....

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
100% correct Chuffer - our 40+ year old cars are in fact some of the worlds 'greenest' cars (if one takes into account the carbon consumed during manufacture and the lifespan of the vehicle).
But the trouble is most people won’t appreciate that fact when they hear our big cubic inch motors running, vibrating their windows etc.

Roscobbc

But the trouble is most people won’t appreciate that fact when they hear our big cubic inch motors running, vibrating their windows etc.
You are so correct Andy - the same mentality perhaps as those who are 'sold' the idea that electric cars are 100% green.
Perhaps such the same as me following an old 1950's or 60's diesel Land Rover and trying really hard to to follow too close (and avoid getting choked by all those black horrible, stinky exhaust fumes). You just know that the owners 'mindset' will be much the same......."this Land Rover is such a 'green' vehicle"