Front Wishbone

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Sorry! I have another one 😬 cleaning under the hood today and noticed that the top wishbone pivot bolt is massively shimmed, see pic. Is this common ? Many thanks🤔6E1B56F4-64BD-4408-8CE8-4EB15C53AB45.jpeg

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
I don't know how common this is, but I have similar differences between the front and rear shim pack on both sides on my '64.

My RH side shims are close to yours. I have one 1/32 inch shim at the front, and three 1/8 shims plus one 1/32 shim at the rear.

In my case the front/rear shim difference may be greater than 'normal' because with power steering and radial tyres I like to have a bit more positive caster than stock. To increase positive caster you remove shims from the front and add shims to the rear.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I don't know how common this is, but I have similar differences between the front and rear shim pack on both sides on my '64.

My RH side shims are close to yours. I have one 1/32 inch shim at the front, and three 1/8 shims plus one 1/32 shim at the rear.

In my case the front/rear shim difference may be greater than 'normal' because with power steering and radial tyres I like to have a bit more positive caster than stock. To increase positive caster you remove shims from the front and add shims to the rear.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe
Phew, thanks for that , just seemed a lot of shims . I do have radials and the frame was put to factory specs at a frame shop in ny prior to assembly 👍

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe
Agree, and I have mine set like that too. It doesn't look too clever, but adding the caster sure makes a big difference to the steering stability and feel/weight, especially at speed.

Mad4, is the shimming the same on the other A-arm?

Incidentally, I recall a post on here about fitting the Borgeson steering conversion and I think I'm right in saying that the instructions advised increasing caster by slotting the holes in the spindle. I'm not sure I fancy doing that for fear of weakening it. Otherwise that would be a good solution if there was more metal in that area.

You can also get "offset" spindles - sounds like the answer - but it's an offset of both ends so no help. Apparently these are used when the suspension turrets have sagged out of position and help restore correct camber(??).

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks all, the other side is shimmed but with different thickness ones. The previous owner said it drives and handles really well but havent driven it on the road yet so cant confirm . Yet.

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
(NCRS hat on....) Shims were widely used at the factory (St. Louis up to 1981) to counter the tolerances in the manufacturing process. They were used in the
A-arms and at the body-mounting points on the chassis. I haven't actually restored an early Corvette myself, but have seen plenty in various stages of disassembly.
I would guess there are guys in CCCUK, NCRS and outfits like Corvette Kingdom who can expand more thoroughly on the subject.
J.C. (1911)
P.S. As pointed out above, to see plenty of shimming is probably a good thing: someone has taken the trouble to align/level up correctly.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
(NCRS hat on....) Shims were widely used at the factory (St. Louis up to 1981) to counter the tolerances in the manufacturing process. They were used in the
A-arms and at the body-mounting points on the chassis. I haven't actually restored an early Corvette myself, but have seen plenty in various stages of disassembly.
I would guess there are guys in CCCUK, NCRS and outfits like Corvette Kingdom who can expand more thoroughly on the subject.
J.C. (1911)
P.S. As pointed out above, to see plenty of shimming is probably a good thing: someone has taken the trouble to align/level up correctly.
Good point, the chap definately seemed to know his stuff even tho he was70 when he completed this one