Fuel

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Of course, the bet thing to do is to not lay up the car for winter.:)

But, if you absolutely have to, then the general concensus seesm to be that its best to fill the tank and, idealy put in a bottle of fuel stabiliser, suppliers like Millers do them. Add the stabiliser when teh tank is almost empty, run the car to get it into the fuel lines etc, then fill the tank. Do not use E10 fuel in any event, but definately not in an older Corvette and not for storing. If you do have to use E10, add some Ethenol protection.

The absolute best way to lay up a car is apparently to drain out the entire fuel system and refil with pure 100 octane racing fuel (VP Fuels), but I suspect that is a tad pricey for us "ordinary" folk!

monty

CCCUK regional rep
I owned 12 vintage cars all at the same time all of them being in the 1930's, mostly Rolls Royce cars and i never had any problems with any of them even after 6 months or more of not using them and that is as recently as 18 months ago, also had a 1978 corvette that was not used very often when we had our children and again never had any issues with fuel etc, just my experience with cars i have had.

oldmemberl68

CCCUK Member
Of course, the bet thing to do is to not lay up the car for winter.:)

But, if you absolutely have to, then the general concensus seesm to be that its best to fill the tank and, idealy put in a bottle of fuel stabiliser, suppliers like Millers do them. Add the stabiliser when teh tank is almost empty, run the car to get it into the fuel lines etc, then fill the tank. Do not use E10 fuel in any event, but definately not in an older Corvette and not for storing. If you do have to use E10, add some Ethenol protection.

The absolute best way to lay up a car is apparently to drain out the entire fuel system and refil with pure 100 octane racing fuel (VP Fuels), but I suspect that is a tad pricey for us "ordinary" folk!
Thanks ill take that on board keep my fuel tank full. just need to work out what companys are supplying E10 fuel . I use Miller's additives in my fuel already but normally keep the tank quite empty . Cheers

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks ill take that on board keep my fuel tank full. just need to work out what companys are supplying E10 fuel . I use Miller's additives in my fuel already but normally keep the tank quite empty . Cheers

The E10 "thing" is becoming a bit of a pain over here as more and more petrol staions are moving from "regular" 95 fuel to "95E10", most notably our local. It means we have to be careful to check the pumps before we fill now and, have to stop off on the way home now at stations we know sell 95. That said, all fuel now has 5% ethanol, thanks to the uniformed GREed and ENvy brigade!:mad: